Irma watch

I know what you mean Brian...all it would take in Bermuda would be the first scare of the season and suddenly palm trees and Norfolk pines are mysteriously growing in the wrong place...
I only once cut a Norfolk pine in half...subbing for a landscape co., I needed the money...didn't take but about five years and it was dead. I did try to get them to take it out all at once, but that's not what they wanted.

I've been happy to see trees I have taken care of go through up to Cat 3 storms relatively unscathed (small broken branches and ripped up leaves) it's the ones that have been neglected for years that suddenly get religion and want it done NOW! But Cat 5...almost all bets are off...

Some of the worst work will actually take place AFTER the hurricane when the chainsaw johnnies come out of the woodwork and want to cut blown down or smashed trees to bits to 'save them'...if it doesn't need to be cut or removed for obvious safety reasons...the leave it the f%*& alone to recover. Trim broken stuff smooth, cover exposed roots, let the trees grow for a couple years THEN reshape them.

I got a dozen calls today from people wanting me to come cut something because they were afraid of the storm. Sorry, I'm not going to butcher trees because some idiot is afraid and panicked. If it wasn't an emergency last week then it's not an emergency this week. And I'm not going to double my rates and charge people $$$ to cater to their fears. I told every one of them to call me after the storm, and one even told me he would try to get his neighbor to cut his tree for him. Fine, just be sure to have 911 on standby.
It's been like that here too Brian. Had a lady call that wanted a tree on her neighbor's property removed because it might reach her house. "Do you have their permission?" - "No, but if it fell ....."

Brian, if the eye lays just offshore of the beach, goes up the coast and continues feeding off the water in the Atlantic, it may be worst case overall. Storm surge and wind on the north side will be pretty brutal. There's not a lot of the east coast that's not developed wall to wall these days. Direct landfall on a certain area will cause more concentrated damage but usually takes a lot out of the storm.

I don't know how it's been in other areas, but insurance companies have gone crazy along the coast here this year, requiring pretty drastic tree clearances before they will reinsure. Not sure if they figured we were due for a storm because of the last several years of low activity or they're just covering their butts at the homeowner's expense, or both.

Tell em Flushcut!!

Up date from here, trucks are being moved onto the highest ground on this island, hopefully not their final resting spots. LOL I have to laugh or I might cry. All of our trucks are full of gas, which right now on this island, gas is non existent.

We will probably stay one more night, then leave before the crack of dawn. The grocery store is open until two with lots of people stocking up to stay.

I can't even imagine. Best of luck.

I thought it was mandatory evacuation for all. Heard an emergency official say there is no safe place in the Keys to shelter and that storm surge could go over the top of everything.

Good to read ya V. You guys may be in better shape if it turns north as predicted. Cooler dry air here this morning so hopefully it will push the storm east and back offshore. Way offshore.

Unless the law's changed in the last few years Merle, mandatory evacuation is not really mandatory. There's always a handful that stay.

I didn't say stay, by all means, run like the wind as I'm sure they will or already have. There's a chance Marathon will be spared the worst of the winds if it turns but with an elevation of about three feet above sea level, I would certainly be headed north. They can camp out here if they need to.

The latest models have it still aimed at south Florida, with slight variations between the Euro and US model

http://cnn.it/2xQeSq7

Here in the west, the forest fires are devastating. So smoky in Seattle that you can look at the sun.... weather cooler which is good, and rain chance at 50% for the next couple days. This 46000 acre fire is right next to my old time stomping grounds, Crystal Mt Ski Area. Many more devastating ones--in the gorge, the one set by friggin' kids with fireworks, and the one in Glacier Nat'l Park. https://www.facebook.com/NorsePeakFire/?fref=mentions

This was the actual moon color at midnight last night.
Tuesday's full moon wasn't even visible Canon EOS 7D Mark II - 0J7A7719.jpg

And the sun from Tuesday:

Canon EOS 7D Mark II - 0J7A7688.jpg

Wow...everywhere.
I would NOT stay in the keys with that storm coming...high Cat3 was enough for me, at 60' above sea level. If it ever got worse I swear we'd hightail it over to the next island and set up camp down in the passages of the old fort. Fort Cunningham, it cost so much to build back in the day that questions were asked in the English Parliament if were armour plated in gold.
Forest Fires
Hurricanes
Monsoon Floods
Earthquake in Mexico

All at the same time. Bad

What happened to shooting looters on sight?

If I remember correctly, that was the procedure after the San Francisco quake.

What happened to shooting looters on sight?
I've got more ammo than the army and the ability to make a lot more so don't try it. If "Florida's reputation" is having enough balls to defend your family's lives and your household, it's a fine one.

My old line foreman from Duke called yesterday and asked if I'd like to go to work. It was all I could do to keep from laughing. But I was nice.

We left today, found a nice hotel room in Sebring. exhausted but oh so grateful to have a bed to sleep in tonight. We will see what the storm does over night, but will probably stay here tomorrow night as well. We are still hoping for even the slightest shift.

We took 27 and literally could not see another care most of the way. Most people left the keys before us so no one on the road getting off the islands, then 27 was a breeze. The turnpike and 95 were a different story, like a parking lot.

Sp. now we play the waiting game. ahhh

Is storm surge a concern where your trucks are parked or mostly just wind?

DJSUTHFX0AADYGo.jpg

DJRKfKsW0AAvLW-.jpg

Back