Irma watch

Great to hear that the utilities are up and running V, something most folks take for granted. My wife read something a friend's wife wrote to those complaining that they were still out of power. My friend and his son are both Duke linemen and she relayed that the only time she'd seen them in weeks was when they stumbled in for a few minutes sleep. IMO, linemen are unsung and mostly unseen heroes in this country, working night and day through the worst weather conditions imaginable, the thickness of a pair of rubber gloves from sudden, violent death, through birthdays and Christmases just to keep a stranger from being inconvenienced. Of course they get paid, but most of those I worked with had an ethic that went way beyond money. I make it a point now to thank them, just like military, firemen and law enforcement.

Good news V! With drinkable water and somewhere to p**...life is almost normal :)

Burn, so sorry I used the STFU phase after you posted, I know you meant well and things will be built stronger when they are rebuilt. Perhaps some day you and Mel can join us on our deck and have a glass of iced tea to discuss how the keys could be better.

Brian, work safe my friend.

Just taking a short break here, it will be a long road of recovery for theses island and I am grateful to be a part of it. So grateful to be a part of it.

I, for the first time in my life, am seeing our tax dollars at work that amazes, I mean amazes me.

This may be stupid, but can anyone tell me if the President landed in Marathon? If so, we watched the plane take off from our porch last night. I know Air force one landed at that airport when the senior Bush was President, so I know it can land there. Anyway, the plane that took off was HUGE for these parts! At first we thought it was another C130 but we think this was a much, much bigger plane. It left after dark which was odd as well, most C130'sthat we have observed quit coming at dusk. Pretty stupid, but would just like to know. I have not left my property to ask around town, just though someone here might have heard.

Glad to be a part of this forum as well, thanks so much for the prayers and well wishes.

Butch, your mama would be so proud. Thanks so much for putting this up for us to share.

That's a fine invite, Gigi...and I both thank you and deeply appreciate your apology here and in your pm. I know y'all were under a huge amount of worry and stress. I hope we can share that glass of tea some day soon.

But I won't be changing my opinion that the keys are too heavily developed and populated. Of course, that same position I hold for virtually all of the coastal USA.

But as a native born Floridian, seeing the changes in the keys and many other parts of SW Florida since the years I grew up there in the 50's and 60's...well, it makes me want to cry to go back to visit these days.

I know Burn, although not born in Florida, I grew up in South Florida. I've seen some changes, some of them good others not so good.

If it's just some water in the cylinder that shouldn't be that horrendous of a fix. Glad to hear you are up and running!

It is such a dust bowl here, no foliage to help collect dust. We are getting little bits of rain to knock it down but it sure is dusty. Pretty petty complaint eh?

We are going to be busy for a long time. What a mess.What a mess.

A few pictures a lady from disaster relief sent of a job we did near Leesburg. A codom laurel oak that was uprooting and splitting. A local tree guy had come by and put a ratchet strap on it the day before and probably saved one house from major damage. These folks are all volunteers, most pretty good hands. The older gentleman on the porty is one of the hardest workers and finest men I've ever had the privilege to know. He worked circles around the young guys, runs a saw like a pro, working on rooftops, dragging limbs in oppressive heat and funny as heck. He also snores like a grizzly:whine:. Jeff, the operator was topnotch too. The guy with his hat on backwards had a prosthetic leg and worked like a dog too so that pretty well eliminated any whining from wimps like me.
22046483_10156176788109367_4395072799870326657_n.jpg 21767943_10156176789364367_3249193230885704905_n.jpg 22089128_10156176789699367_6473849088740722366_n.jpg 21768109_10156176788869367_7284594034762928598_n.jpg 21766532_10156176790739367_8154795224965180285_n.jpg

Hard, hot work there,..,.great pictures. That second pict hurts...hate being in places like that. Cool to have a good volunteer crew to help.

Limbrat, are the guys in the yellow shirts from the Morman Church? We have a lot of people from that church helping in Marathon, they all have yellow tee shirts on.They have been a big help to a lot of people.

It's a Baptist group V. They sent a bunch of folks down your way too, I just got off the phone with an old friend who was stationed out of Big Pine. He said that places he had stayed on other keys lobstering and fishing were just gone. He also said I should ask you about poisonwood. I just looked at a video clip he sent, looks like a bomb went off in places.

Poisonwood is just terrible if you are allergic. I mean terrible. There is something called Zanfel, about $50.00 a tube, that helps. Most people get a steroid shot.

Although the eye went through Cudjoe key, I have heard that really Big Pine suffered the worst.

Thank your friends from the bottom of all of our hearts. So much destruction, a helping hand is so appreciated. God bless them.

Sorry to hear it is all so bad there.

Zanfel can be had off the internet or at Walmart for about $35 per tube. It works great on poison oak, which we have here.

Just caught up with this thread

Ray you are rolling man!

I used to love doing storm work. So gratifying to help folks in true need. I would need a crane now though!

Back