Irma watch

Damn, they must really be down for the count! No word from Brian, not a lot more from Virginia...

How's it going?

I did hurricane work in 2008 and that budweiser water in a can on ice was the most amazing stuff ever. I'm surprised they don't sell instead of plastic. It gets so cold. Tthe can makes a big difference to the experience in my opinion.

Sounds like a good idea! Now I am gonna be on the lookout for one lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey guys! Just got internet back after a week outage. Storm hit here Sunday night, cable went out about 9pm. Power went out about 5am. I'm 3 blocks from the sub station and my transformer is on a main line so my power was back on Tuesday afternoon. But the week without internet was frustrating! My home phone service is thru Vonage so without internet I had no home phone and no access to messages.

Thankfully all my regulars have my cell phone number so I've had plenty of work to keep me busy. Been pulling trees off of houses mostly and cutting down uprooted trees. Of course I've had the 2-3 idiots calling me saying "Nothing got damaged in the hurricane but I'd like to have some trimming done." I tell those idiots to call me in 2 months, I'm busy. In fact I'm even working tomorrow and I haven't worked a Sunday in 10+ years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My best day was $1900 minus my ground guy who I'm paying 15% for storm work. But I have $3K for tomorrow. Chicken scratch compared to what some outfits are doing but I have almost no expenses out of that and it's just me. I'm mostly just trying to help friends, family and previous customers.

I love my bucket truck! :love:

Greg Scott, our Arborist, is alive and well. Had some water roll through his house, but he is well.

Holy smokes, we got home Thursday, spent Friday making sure the trucks started and got them back to the yard. We had them staged at different high spots around the island. Today took a tree off our mechanics mother's house, tarped the roof at the office, picked up 8 free cases of that budwiser water and believe it or not, got to our home to find out WE HAVE POWER at our home.

The boat was on the lift, had not moved an inch. The fabric on the t top is gone but all well otherwise.

You would not believe the number of police officers and Armed Forces that are in the Keys, c-130's landing at the air port behind my house, black hawks and another huge type of helicopter bringing in supplies. Red Cross has stations set uo around our little island and I am sure in the lower keys.

One great thing, the source that said so many had died was WRONG. Thank God.

This storm hit the ocean side of Marathon bad, the last Hurricane, Wilma, hit the bay side bad. The people are coming back in, the lower keys open at 7 am tomorrow. I have not left Marathon, so have not seen the real destruction in the lower keys, but on the way down until Marathon all I could say was wow. and wow, wow.

Our grocery store is open in Marathon, they picked our trash up this morning, and I swear, I just heard the mosquito truck going by. Things will be even better tomorrow.

Good news for sure.

Sounds like a pretty comprehensive government response, eh?

Burn, so sorry I used the STFU phase after you posted, I know you meant well and things will be built stronger when they are rebuilt. Perhaps some day you and Mel can join us on our deck and have a glass of iced tea to discuss how the keys could be better.

Brian, work safe my friend.

Just taking a short break here, it will be a long road of recovery for theses island and I am grateful to be a part of it. So grateful to be a part of it.

I, for the first time in my life, am seeing our tax dollars at work that amazes, I mean amazes me.

This may be stupid, but can anyone tell me if the President landed in Marathon? If so, we watched the plane take off from our porch last night. I know Air force one landed at that airport when the senior Bush was President, so I know it can land there. Anyway, the plane that took off was HUGE for these parts! At first we thought it was another C130 but we think this was a much, much bigger plane. It left after dark which was odd as well, most C130'sthat we have observed quit coming at dusk. Pretty stupid, but would just like to know. I have not left my property to ask around town, just though someone here might have heard.

Glad to be a part of this forum as well, thanks so much for the prayers and well wishes.

Butch, your mama would be so proud. Thanks so much for putting this up for us to share.

Back