HUNTING 2017

Trying to do my best with that, but the last 5 years all kind of shit has come in the way.

Closed up the meat birds a couple nights ago and there were two coyotes staring back at me across the field. Good sized around here, hope they eat more cats.

Surplus meaning they eat the deer that someone would like to shoot?

Read an article about deer over population in parks a bit ago with Valley Forge way up there. Looked it up:
“The current phase of the plan (sharpshooting, plus capture and euthanasia if necessary), will maintain deer density at the initial goal of 31 to 35 deer per square mile, in contrast to the 2009 density of 241 deer per square mile.”
Personally don’t know enough about coyote biology/ecology, but the population of deer and increase in Lymes is no good. That’s why I can hunt September to December. Can’t wait

I love wildlife, sheep and goats, not so much. I don't mess with coyotes. One of my gifts is being able to call them with nothing but my lips.

Not to say I haven't shot one. I just don't care to. I'd rather see them. There is one near my house that may go soon. He is almost hairless and has appeared without fear twice now around 3pm and just stared at me - not long enough for me to get armed.

Having said all that, I live in an area that was sheep and goat country for a century so coyote populations are low. I've been to parts of Texas where they are high. It gets old. I understand. My dad and his buddies use dogs to hunt them. Those dogs tear them apart...

Without live stock , i prefer to just watch them as well. But.......
My cousin had one as a pet in Kansas. Eventually got shot by a farmer nearby. Guess he got into the chickens. Cool dog though. Id personally like a fox. But chickens and rabbits and all that.

Guy we just did a prune for had me stage the brush within range of his front porch and yard. Deer love Black oak and mistletoe.
If he sees one out the living room window or garage, he'll have a reasonable shot with cover.

Yeah buddy. Missed a small buck a couple days ago, thankfully a complete miss. He jumped the string and I was aiming dead center, rookie mistake. What is a common weight around you Ed? Largest I shot here was 180lb 10pt, most closer to 120-140.

Headed out for first day of gun season, good cold snap and 18 with windchill. They should be moving well, haven’t scouted at all with work and family but setting up in a sweet spot from last year. Bundling the frig up, I don’t have a stitch of fat on me so union suit and insulated coveralls it is

... I don’t have a stitch of fat on me so union suit and insulated coveralls it is

Good luck. I have the same problem with staying warm.
For me, nothing beats an outerwear, arctic rated 'onesie' with a fur lined hood.

Without live stock , i prefer to just watch them as well. But.......
My cousin had one as a pet in Kansas. Eventually got shot by a farmer nearby. Guess he got into the chickens. Cool dog though. Id personally like a fox. But chickens and rabbits and all that.
my dads friend who is a rancher, in his holistic management org. has a great presentation about jow he discovered that he could shoot coyotes endlessly and another would just pop up. so he stopped and he ended up with one coyote family who with the help of the ranch dog became respectful of the "rules" and also kept all other coyotes out. He ended up having much less problems. there is some science that backs this up as well. killing a coyote is kind of like topping a tree, 6 more low quality loner coyotes will immediately fill the void. what is preferable is to have one family structure that keeps the population stable based on territory. noone has ever succeeded killing the coyotes out

my dads friend is not in this article but its basically the same idea

... so he stopped and he ended up with one coyote family who with the help of the ranch dog became respectful of the "rules" and also kept all other coyotes out. He ended up having much less problems...

Yup, plenty of research to backup that observation. So much smarter to live with a trained coyote family as they will aggressive protect their hunting area from other predators.

The key phrase is 'trained' to keep away. That is not an easy task when talking about coyotes.

Back