Suggestions for climbing rear-handle saw, and MS150t saw builder.

SeanKroll

Treehouser
I'm looking for something like my ol' MS 361.

I have all Stihl, ATM. Need something between my current MS261 AND MS460and 461.

Stihl and Husky dealers in town. Probably Echo, too.

Any Seattle/ Portland area saw builders? Any other recommendations?

... though I'm all Orange I just blew up my mid size saw. Old 254XP that turned up used at the shop. More than paid for itself and may or may not be rebuildable ... Love the the model which is probably why Husky discontinued it. Leaves me in the saw shop in need of replacement Without the stupidshit microchip "Autotune" ... I simply won't buy another saw with. Left me no options other than the 543XP. Will be running it tommorow and let you know.

I would love to hear you thoughts on the 543xp. I have been running a 545 Husqy for just over a year of daily use with no issues its fast and has a great power band. And have yet to break ing the new 555xpg I picked up.

Yeah, I love my autotune huskys.

I don't really care for my 562/560 these days, too heavy for swinging around prepping stuff for the chipper, not big enough for bucking up. I'll hop from my 550 to a 576/372.

550 is the first saw we reach for from the truck, a little gem!

I love my 550 and 562, but my autotune 543 tophandle pisses me off daily. I am on my 3rd one and they have all been the same. Won't start worth a shit. I can be running it for a few minutes straight, then put it down for 2 minutes, then it either takes 4 pulls to start or might even need to be choked. WTF? I miss my old 200T so bad.

I sent my ms150tc to myrtle creek saw shop in southern Oregon.
thing is a totally different saw,a beast in comparison,louder than my modded 201. Can hold the rpms through the cut now...

I'd recommend a Husky 372xp. 70cc's vs the ms362 60cc's, and the same weight if I remember correctly.

Oh and they rip :D

My instant review of 543 , for it's size and the price it does what it was hired to do. Ran on the ground falling and breaking down some Balsam Fir and Maple today and I give it an "A".

...but my autotune 543 tophandle pisses me off daily....

First: Let me say that I LOVE your Educated Climber website. I mean... LOVE it. But please allow me to rather pedandically and quite (I've never been on this thread before) officiously, if humbly, declair that the 543 is not a 'tophandle,' as the term is commonly used (I dunno bout Canadia) in the United States.

Sean: Dude. Can I suggest that your just looking for a 450 Rancher from Bailey's... rediculously cheap. 50.2cc's. I think they're like $350.00.

I'd recommend a Husky 372xp. 70cc's vs the ms362 60cc's, and the same weight if I remember correctly.

Oh and they rip :D
The newer 372XP is but a shadow of its former self. I have one with the XTorque technology and it's quite a bit heavier and a lot fussier with less power. I still have a couple old 372s but won't buy another.

I could perhaps be biased. I have 1 old one and 1 of Mastermind's.

Last time I was in the saw shop they had non-m-tronic 362's as well, Sean.

The newer 372XP is but a shadow of its former self. I have one with the XTorque technology and it's quite a bit heavier and a lot fussier with less power. I still have a couple old 372s but won't buy another.

I have 3 372 old stock and 2 365 old stock but the new 572 might be on the to buy list.

Right about the 543 Jed. I use the T540 some and really try to like it. I really, really try.

Man when they were waiting two years to release the T540 Husky acted like it would be so great. ( I think they disappointed their market) My way out is two 338's and 335 which I will try to keep running including rebuilds when the time comes.

First: Let me say that I LOVE your Educated Climber website. I mean... LOVE it. But please allow me to rather pedandically and quite (I've never been on this thread before) officiously, if humbly, declair that the 543 is not a 'tophandle,' as the term is commonly used (I dunno bout Canadia) in the United States.

Sean: Dude. Can I suggest that your just looking for a 450 Rancher from Bailey's... rediculously cheap. 50.2cc's. I think they're like $350.00.

Sorry, yes, I meant the 540. I have given this little saw so many chances, and it just doesn't impress me.

If you want to try the echo, you could go the 590 or 600. Pretty much the same saw, just the 600 is the pro model. Has some filtration issues an o ring solves a bit. I do more dead than you, so may not be an issue.
Or move up to the 680. put a 24 bar on it and good to go. 560 or4 600 will pull a 20'' with authority.

After the top and limbs are gone if I can't pull the rest down safe , I believe it saves time to switch top handle small to rear handle medium to chunk down the main stem. Though not the biggest ( or the most power ) I think the 543 would be fine aloft. Just my opinion.

If you go 362. The NE type 2 362 is lighter then the 361 and 562. Just dont buy the ole pig 362 IMO.

NE has the new clutch cover like this.

s362NET2weight.png

Back