Notching a near-horizontal limb to swing it away from obstructions

OP said with a tag line, but it's good to speak about the different solutions, overall if they can be better on one point or an other.

The spiderleg is very nice if the rigging point is just above the center of gravity or in the vicinity. It can be dangerous though, if the rigging point is closer or behind the vertical of the cut. This places you precisely in the position to get the butt jumping at you. Not in the face, but in the belly legs ropes, yes. In this case, two different ropes seems better for me, with the butt tie shortly tied. A long rope at the butt gives almost the same result as a spiderleg, way too much move allowed toward you. Actually, the limb's COG tends to come at the vertical of the rigging point. That means that about half of the limb want to pass near/through you in an heart beat like a battering ram.

Hi all.

, how do you handle it? Can you notch it on one side vertically and back cut the other and get it to swing some assuming you've got a rope tied out towards the tip?

He didn't specifically say tag line, though that may have been what he meant... Just another example of how important it is to write in a way that cannot be misunderstood..

When I hear line tied out towards tips I thought lowering line, never even considered he may have meant tag line.. Just the way I think ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I originally meant a tag line to help swing the limb, not a rigging line tied above to support the weight of the limb. I can see where having BOTH would be very beneficial.

Tag lines are a plus. But the speed at which one needs to pull the weight vs the speed of gravity is, on average, a loosing deal.

Species dependent as has been said.

Maple will snap, cherry will hold etc. if it's to be done like that, get your excuses in early.

"That'll come back lovely (from being smashed to pieces) with all that extra light..."

A tag-line is going to increase the downward pressure (additional to gravity) on the hinge. A more horizontal tag line, pulled from further back, or redirected through another crotch will reduce that effect.

Back