MS200T ignition coil ground wire replacement

Hunnicutt

TreeHouser
I've got a decent running 200T, but the grounding wire that runs from the ignition coil to the kill switch has faulted. It's the very first saw I ever bought so I've got a little bit of a connection with it. I recently replaced the piston and some other things and now it runs better than when I first got it. Now that the ground wire has broken, I like to joke that the saw runs so good that you can't even shut it off! :lol:
Anyways, I'm determined to fix the saw and I bought a new cheapo Chinese ignition coil that came with a new wire. I'm not entirely sure the best way to approach removing and replacing the old wire as it travels through the crank case to get from the ignition coil to the handle. I'm thinking I can remove the flywheel and the handle and pop off the grommets and pull the old wire out without having to really break the saw apart. Is it possible to do this or do I need to split the whole crank case? I can take some pictures if my description doesn't make any sense. Any help of insight is appreciated!

Before you do all that check the front portion of the handle .That's usually where the kill wire goes bad .Well not bad bad ,some times the terminal lug becomes disconnected in the handle .Had the same thing on one of my 200's about a week ago .

Yup, usually breaks right at the terminal eye that fits under the screw holding the front handle rubber mount. The one directly below the kill switch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unfortunately, after confirming with a continuity test, it is indeed the wire that passes through the crank case from the kill switch to the ignition coil :(

If I recall it doesn't actually go through the crankcase but it does wind around in such a way it appears to .You could probably get a better view point if you remove the recoil starter and clutch cover .To remove the handle you have to remove the carb .The linkage alignment can throw you off ,it always does me .That done it's only two screws and the handle comes right off .

I've got a picture of this thing .The kill wire goes along side flywheel and up into the front part of the handle .With the wire removed I showed about 2 ohms from the attachment point of the coil to the laminations,ground .If that checks out I'd say the coil is probably good and the kill wire has an open or could be one of the lugs or the handle shorting gizmo is faulty .You could attach another wire ,run in between the recoil and case and try shorting it to the case and see if that works to kill it .If it does I think you could twist and solder like a number 16 wire to the old one and pull it through without removing the flywheel . DSCN0160[1].jpg

BTW the wire B was taking about is the yellow and green wire which goes to ground on the av mount case bolt .Obviously the only one left, the black wire is what is in question .

Back