Treehouse thread on Security

Animal liability act. Or Dog owner liability act.

As a farmer none of that applies to me I think. My dogs never leave my property. They don't drive on the public roads so they have no licenses. Hell they aren't even fixed. :D

Basically, in the UK chippers and plant go missing with or without trackers. If the scrotes want it they will find a way.

That is why they are good at what they do. Some of the tales I have heard beggars belief. From guys pulling up at a job, hopping out to see if the address is correct, and turning around to get signs and comes to see their entire rig driving off up the road... to complete yards being done over, 100's of K's worth of kit stolen and equipment damage.

I figured, with my old truck as it wasn't sign written and had a roll deck in the back... it was best to leave kit in overnight and not be in and out every evening. Too obvious and someone would see. I left it in most nights and never had a problem.

Saying that though when I sold it. The dude who bought it had the tailgate smashed open looking for tools within a couple of weeks. He did have another sign written vehicle on his drive though.

Waterford where my GF lives is fairly quiet. Some breakins and vehicle thefts, mostly newer trucks. The autoparts store regularly has smash and grabs.

Simcoe you have to lock up your truck at the jobsite. Plenty of meth heads will take anything they can carry, or if.the opportunity to take a vehicle they will. Smaller town, so the richer neighbourhoods are easy access.

Brantford has areas that see only particular thefts. North and south end is upper to high middle class, more B and E and vehicles. My area, east, is , knock on wood, only opportunity thefts, bikes and garden tools. West is more assaults. Down town is more drugs and hookers strung out, theft is not as much a worry. Good practice to lock up on the jobsite.

It is said that they need to legalize drugs. When drugs are cheaper crime rates go down, as shown by past history when the price of cocaine dropped and so did the amount of all crimes, including theft. When the cocaine use boom was in full gear back in the 80s and 90s and the drug was expensive, crime rates were at an all time high, especially in impoverished cities. Isn't there more illegal opioid use now than ever in the US? Thefts of drugs by employees in hospitals is a growing problem. Substance abuse costs the country nearly 500 billion dollars annually, adding in theft.

That being said, when drugs are readily available without the crime factor, is that going to have even more people using them? It's estimated that 10 to 20 percent of vehicle accidents have drug use being a factor. What can be done?

Once I was foreman on a job where we had a ton of welding lead stolen. Like 500' worth. As I was filling out the stolen property report with the cat rental store (I know, surprise) I asked the guy what was the worse thing they had ever had stolen. He said in Cali they had a cat d10, complete with blade stolen overnight once. Lol now that is some next level stuff right there.

Sometimes big equipment gets stolen in plain sight too, nobody around figures that anyone that could be observed would do such a thing. Load it up and move out...wave hi to anyone that might be watching.

Lol another good one from around here a meth head stole a semi with an anhydrous tank. Drove it to a field that belonged to his uncle or something, where he had a prepared a small hill with a skid steer, where he then buried the truck and the trailer, leaving just the back open. The cops followed the tracker right to it, and waited till he came back to get some for his next batch lol

Everybody around us have been broken into two and three times, not a good area. I grew up not a mile from where we are, I know the area and the locals. Built our first house twenty two years ago, we weren't here two months until a couple "kids" seventeen years old tried to rob us at gun point, it didn't go the way they planned. When the state police got here I had them digging a fire pit for me, they didn't know it was a fire pit, the cops weren't impressed. Since then I can leave the gate open and never once has anything came up missing.

I knew both their parents, didn't intend to do the boys any harm. They haven't been in any trouble since so their parents say.

When I was a little kid my family was visiting some friends and I stole something from the kid's room that lived there. It was a flag. I fell asleep in the car on the way home and when we got to our house and inside, my mother undressed me and found it because I shoved it down my trousers. The whooping was bad, but I had to go give it back and apologize. My parents made a point of taking me over to do that. It was terrible! Kind of left an imprint about stealing.

I wouldn't like to have to go apologize for stealing a person's tools that help provide their livelihood.

Wow. Great story! My dad took me over to a kid's house when I was 10 or so and made me apologize to his dad for calling the kid a name. Likewise made a big impression. (sorry for off topic, but your post resonated.)

I think part of it is the rush of ripping someone off.

Part is the test of craft to break in and pawn.

I think career thieves have rhe know how and means to liquidate.

The motive and means to liquidate reminds me partly of politics and government give-away programs. Like welfare, grants and freebies being given to too many people. Some people hate paying taxes for that. But there are a lot of recipients that don't give a second thought, enjoying getting benefits that other people are paying for. They may even feel they deserve it.

So I'm guessing a number of these thieves know people in the woods, etc., who feel some city arborists, etc., should be able to afford the loss so they can get the discount.

No guilt. Just a mindset and way of life. Blinded to the purpose of law and order and honest business.

No streets back in here Mick.

Huh? ok, so I guess you mean in your house yeah?

So two guys (17) broke into your house with fire arms and attempted to rob you at gunpoint.
You managed to disarm them, and held them (digging the pit) until police arrived.

What prison sentences did they receive?

Christ Mick, do I have to write novel cause I'm not very good at writing a novel.

We had just finished the house and I was out working on the deck. I took a break, admiring my wood butchery skills and contemplating the meaning of life and chit. It was in the fall, no leaves on the trees. A few deer came running pass the house like their ass was on fire so I knew there was something or somebody in the woods in the direction they came from. I reach in the door and got my rifle so I could use the scope to see what the fuss was. About a quarter mile away I see these two hoodlums walking in my direction. The tract of land that borders us to west, north and east is owned by some lawyers in D.C., over 200 acres, so if I see someone on their land I know damn well it isn't the owners. I figured they were either lost, poaching or just out for a hike. I watched them a few more minutes and seen they had a rifle so I eased on down the hill where I figured they would walk past me, at least see who it was. Well they decided to cross my fence before they got to where I was sitting, came up over the hill and walked right past me. By this time I was laying on my back covered with leaves, they never knew I was anywhere around, I could still see'em tho. They walked straight to the house with me following behind them. The kid without the gun kicked the door in thinking nobody was home, my wife and 10 year old son was in the house. I was on the bottom step of the deck before they got in the house. Legally I could've put both of them down, but I didn't. Had the punk with the gun drop it and both of them were face down before the wife even got to the door. Had a shovel there I was digging holes for the deck posts, told'em come on boys, bring that shovel, ya got work to do.I looked at the wife and winked and said don't you dare call the cops.When the cops got there I thought I was going to jail, they had no sense of humor. The kids didn't get any time being minors. Their parents paid to fix the door.

The End

Ok thanks, yes you did need to write a novel.

Extraordinary that you can enter a property with a firearm, with intent to steal and receive no punishment, 17 or no.

Back