Treehouse thread on Security

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good responses all.

Stig, tell about the gps tracker, costs etc. Thanks.

Cost about $200.

Little box that one hooks up to the electric system, then hides on the tracker.

I can call it and it'll give me a precise GPS position if the chipper goes AWOL.

Then it is vigilante time!

The make those for all kind of vehicles today.
You can even get one for your dog, so if Fido goes missing, you can find him again.

Lots of big companies here have them on their trucks, so the can keep track of where the fleet is at any time.

Couple of years back I subbed a day as climber for a big landscaping company.

We really worked hard and were finished early.
When I was packing up to go home, I noticed all the other guys were just hanging around.
I asked if they weren't going home and was told they couldn't leave a job site till 3.30 PM.
Company had GPS trackers in the trucks to make sure no-one snuck off early.

Man, I couldn't work for a company like that.
No way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good info.

I leave my keys in the ignition and don't even have a key to lock the house... perks of living on a dead end road with nosy neighbors i guess. also complacency, but still, pretty awesome

...Yeah New England rural is much easier than the cities within. I keep a box in the truck for the saws , climb and rig is in Pelicans , hard rigging is usually in a jet sled. Keys always in the ignition , w nothing locked I figure at least they have to get up into the bed to rip me off , many folks do lose saws to the "reach over" nowadays junkies

The pinned boxes on the chiptruck should slow em down enough for the dogs and shotgun. Seriously though I live in a very low crime area and there are way easier targets than me.
I wouldn't leave a thief walking with my livelihood in his hands.

Peter, sometimes I wonder if you live in the same Canada I do. Have you ever considered moving? From your descriptions I'd never consider living back east.

Two big dogs here. Never had anything stolen, never lock anything. And I've never been charged or held liable for anything from having said dogs.

I have had a few GPS trackers for months now. Apparently I'm waiting till a piece of equip is stolen before I figure out how to set them up on the web, pay a fee and install them.

These need about a 1 inch thick space and the ability for radio waves to get through. I was thinking of a one inch thick hollow plastic box as a licence plate holder. Have to access and change batts about every month.

Kickstarted had units coming that used GPS, cell towers, and possibly proximity. Those sound better for tracking.

Anything that required new batteries every month would probably not work well for me. Human nature is to wait until something stops working before changing the battery. Odds are with a battery powered GPS the battery is going to be dead if the unit ever gets stolen.

I have tool insurance...like 300/year replaces truck break ins... but it takes a long time to find a window.

I spend 30 minutes every day loading/unloading tools.

I heard recently Chad Brey with A+ had his chase truck looted in the city. Buncha gear and saws....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Perhaps if there was a methadone clinic within two hundred yards or so of where you keep your tools, theft wouldn't be a problem.

Funny thing I heard with HA.
If they see your bike with their sticker/emblem they think it's their bike and take it.

I came back from a federal DOT physical and a dude was leaned up on the government truck shooting smack with the belt on and everything... Gotta love the Tenderloin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

What happened to the guys that stole Sonny Barger's bike you'd think would dissuade theft. Besides beaten beaten to all hell I think they had their fingers broken. They weren't in the HA though.

Anything that required new batteries every month would probably not work well for me. Human nature is to wait until something stops working before changing the battery. Odds are with a battery powered GPS the battery is going to be dead if the unit ever gets stolen.

Which is why mine hooks up to the electric system on the chipper.
Since we run the chipper weekly, that is always charged.

I've thought about Ring. Haven't looked into it.

Fake cameras with LEDs might be worth something, over nothing.

Stig, do you chip that often, or is it just maintenance for the lubrication and electrical?

I had read somewhere that thieves, in Europe I believe, were accustomed to looking for tracking devices. I have been thinking that charging wires would be an easy give away and thus was looking for a way to hide/camouflage the tracking device.

What kind of places would you suggest putting a wired unit on a chipper Stig that would still get the GPS signal out? ( If I understand it dosen't work to be behind too much metal.)

Back