Treehouse thread on Security

cory

Tree House enthusiast
This thread could cover any aspect of security, but I had in mind specifically truck and chipper security. Any of you have opinions/reviews on tire/wheel boots? Thanks.`

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha,no, trying to be proactive, Jim.

I've seen toolbox alarms. Guess you need to be close by. As a rule, PITA it is, valuables come in for the night. Saws, climb bag.

Do they ever catch these guys that steal stuff? What's their excuse? What is it, one goes down and another pops up?

I think part of it is the rush of ripping someone off.

Part is the test of craft to break in and pawn.

I think career thieves have rhe know how and means to liquidate.

Try not to leave anything in the truck that I can't live without.

I have my pintle hitch with locking pin the chipper is cabled to the truck.

All the gas caps are locked down.

Of course they can beat all that stuff, but I try not to be the easiest target.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

In my area, community facebook pages are full of people posting video or pics of people stealing stuff, people complaining that the police don't help.

When I was a little kid my family was visiting some friends and I stole something from the kid's room that lived there. It was a flag. I fell asleep in the car on the way home and when we got to our house and inside, my mother undressed me and found it because I shoved it down my trousers. The whooping was bad, but I had to go give it back and apologize. My parents made a point of taking me over to do that. It was terrible! Kind of left an imprint about stealing.

I wouldn't like to have to go apologize for stealing a person's tools that help provide their livelihood.

Changable, combo locks (Master multi-packs) with chains to slow down thieves, here. Run chains through power equipment inside the truck. Weld chains into tool boxes.

A battery powered angle grinder will cut through about anything, given the time and noise. Slow them down, prevent smash and grab.

Park against another truck/ wall meaning that they will have to move the truck to get access.

I'm going to add a top door on my chip truck bed that is hinging and lockable. Why not make that huge area lockable?????

I leave my keys in the ignition and don't even have a key to lock the house... perks of living on a dead end road with nosy neighbors i guess. also complacency, but still, pretty awesome

I've been toying with the idea of a hidden/disguised toolbox for saws and leaving a few beater saws on the shelf as decoys but I don't think I'm disciplined enough to go through packing them away all the time etc...

Electrified fence. Constantine wire.

Motion activated massive wattage LED lighting.

I could go on...

YOU CANNOT PASS!!!

Attachments

• screws 008.jpg
    screws 008.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 39
When we were logging we used to leave a couple of dead batteries on the loader. We used old battery cables tied to the frame so it looked like they were in use. About twice a year they would come up missing. Two batteries were enough for them to carry and most of the time they didn't bother looking for anything else. The real batteries were hidden pretty good.

Touch wood I've been lucky over here so far.

Had a trailer and tracked chipper stolen in the UK.

As far as measures, I've had an automatic roller door installed to the workshop.

On the job theft is not an issue here.

My saws go inside padlocked to a shelf when we are away, chipper is in a shed at a friends property now, stainless swedged cable to a shackle through the wall, padlocked to the tow handle and chain. I have seen some mini tracking devices advertised on FB, you register it and there is a app you can get to track it if needed, I reckon that's the way to go eventually.

I've always been pretty fortunate. Many years ago I had all my saws stolen three different times in 4 years. It was the guy who worked for me. Now I have no employees and I'm very careful who is invited over. I ask other tree guys not to bring along their scumbag laborers if they stop by. IMO the best defense is not being a target in the first place. If you get robbed then 99% of the time it is somebody who knows you and knows what you have.

That said, I'm pretty lax as far as actual security measures. I haven't locked my saw boxes on my trucks since moving in here 2+ years ago. I will be going out of town for a couple days next week so I better lube up the toolbox locks so I can lock them up while I'm gone.

3 large dogs do it for me.
Plenty enough security for here.

I do have a GPS tracker on the chipper.

When my lat one got stolen, the insurance company insisted on that.

For a long time I hoped the same a-holes that made off with the first one, would steal this one, too.

No suck luck!:cry:

Back