63 Years old, overweight, just returned from 5 day climbing class

This throw a roll, is different than flicking your rope like a sine-wave. The roll hops over the branch, rather than 'dying out' at the limb you're trying to get over.

Once you get the throw a roll, you can throw a spiral-roll to get it to move left and right.

Yes, the sine-wave tends to pull back the rope if it stays barely enough on the limb. By rolling, you send the wave up and more importantly forward its first position, with almost no traction on the rope. Figure how the big waves roll over coming on the beach.

You need the weight of the rope to do that. It doesn't work with the throw line, too light and too much air drag.
You need a clear path along the rope, up to the limb. A simple twig in the way reduces drastically the efficiency, or can even stop the useful part of the wave.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got it, CurSedVoyce!
Same technique all up the tree.
Man, that is high up.

How did you know those tie in point branches were strong enough? Especially since you were snapping off some of them with your hand.

Thanks.

DMc, I think the most physically demanding part was trying to advance my position, either with the climb line or my lanyard and especially using the throwbag up to the next branch.... this along with hanging in mid-air, like a spider, for up to an hour at a time under a big branch, unable to get anything around the next branch to advance. :)
This was very exhausting.

That sounds painful.. learning to climb entails learning to set a good climbing line high in the tree, from the ground...

Back