63 Years old, overweight, just returned from 5 day climbing class

Low fat was a crappy fad from the 80's. Doesn't seem that low-fat and weight loss go together. Seems they took out the fat, and people ballooned.

You are on point on that Sean. You can eat large amounts of healthy fat, three avacados a day at meals comes to mind, and still loose weight or stay at your ideal weight.

Fat may not be an enemy. It may be a friend that is helping your body not self destruct......quickly. To understand it appropriately it would have to be viewed as a part of a whole topic. (As opposed to the three blind men describing an elephant when one has only touched the leg, one only the trunk, one only the tail.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The mental component will become much less stressful and should in fact become enjoyable, as you gain experience. Could you be a little more specific as to what part of the climb you found the most physically demanding.

DMc, I think the most physically demanding part was trying to advance my position, either with the climb line or my lanyard and especially using the throwbag up to the next branch.... this along with hanging in mid-air, like a spider, for up to an hour at a time under a big branch, unable to get anything around the next branch to advance. :)
This was very exhausting.

:thumbup:
Mental stress contributes greatly to physical fatigue. Confidence through practice will bring that stress and fatigue level way down. The fact that you weren't sore says that you're in better physical shape than you give yourself credit for. Hang in there Robert.

Thanks Ray!

@Raj -- yeah I'm considering that... at the very least it seems to be pretty good exercise.

@woodworkingboy -- Good point. Thanks. --- yeah, I've been eating walnuts (and almonds) for a while now...haha, doesn't seem to magically remove the fat :) --- have been eating Kale too.... also was eating lots of coconut oil for health .... but looks like the joke's on me with that report from a few weeks ago that coconut oil isn't as good as they said it was :)

@Grendel -- I think I can see that. Thanks for the encouragement.

@FireFighterZero -- Thanks!

@Ray -- Thanks for the encouragement!

@Willie -- Thanks.

@Marc-Antoine -- Thanks a lot for the detailed encouragement.

@Mr. Beranek -- Thanks! I've read almost all your book and am about 3/5 through your DVD's ... this must be what an advanced college course would be... and then some.

@Butch -- that is my main fear. More easily getting injured with age... and as you have previously mentioned -- longer to recover, even for "minor" injuries.
My main "advantage" is that I would not be a "production" tree worker. I could work 100% at my own pace and timetable. For whatever that is worth.
I have a few pine trees I really have an eye to climb and take down piece by piece and an Elm near my house that needs to be trimmed (otherwise it will
have to be removed -- felled).

@JD3000 -- Thanks for the tips.

@Benjo75 -- Haha, I admire your dedication to working out, sir. Thanks for the encouragement.

@Mick -- When I worked with computers that's the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was fix any computer problem or try to figure out how to hook anything up (especially toward the end of my career) ... and even now -- I just want the thing to work.

@Chris E -- Maybe I have a few left :)

@Rich -- Thanks for the good words.

@Bermy -- haha, Thanks for the words and encouragement!

@stig -- Very impressive. I'm going to check out that link.
Just with my very limited experience it is fun hanging out up in a tree, and it seems it would be so especially at night (but not that high up for me!)

@Sean -- Thanks Sean! Actually I was waiting until I took this class to start seriously looking at that thread. I plan on starting on it soon.

@Mearle and Sean -- yeah the low(er) carb thing with plenty of fat seems to be better.... easier to stay on and somewhat "proven" effective.

Thanks all for the comments.

For what it's worth if anyone is interested or cares to comment.....

*** One of my fears is getting into a situation where my climb line is loose and "falling" a short distance (e.g. 1 or 2 feet) and suffering serious injury because of it.

*** Another fear is "gaffing out" while using spurs --- but I understand this happens to everyone(?) --- Gerald Beranek said (as I recall) that when it happens you have to be ready in an instant to shorten your lanyard to keep yourself from sliding down the tree --- and you only have a second or two to react.

*** Another fear is being in the tree and it falling down with me in it --- but I suppose this would be very rare on a living tree and/or a tree that doesn't have any unhealthy warning signs.

*** and to Butch's tone, which I appreciate.... of caution for older ages ------ I have a doubt of starting totally from scratch on learning something dangerous at 63 years old.
Chainsaws are dangerous (and driving the highways) --- and more so with age, no doubt --- but I started with them when my brain was more "supple", so I have (hopefully) safety and good practice and some reflexes already sort of hard-wired into my brain which will serve me now when older.
--- but tree climbing is totally new and to take on something totally new and dangerous at my age is a point I am considering.... because the 2nd nature reflex thinking and motions may not soak into my brain like they need to to be safe.

That said, "rec" climbing and "working" climbing appears to be two different things --- so if I can get past the entry cost of the gear, I may move forward with "rec" climbing and see if I can acclimate to it safely ---- also it appears to be really good exercise.

Now to finish Mr. Beranek's DVD's and start on the beginning climber's thread on this forum!

Thanks Butch!
On my hanging, the most memorable time, I was moving (squirming) around pretty much, trying to get a throwbag around a limb 10' or so above me.
Also that harness was pinching so much I had to keep squirming around :)

Well, they say "low and slow" -- I guess that applies here for a beginner.

You can take your lanyard from hip d-ring to d-ring, under your feet, and sorta stand up. At least, from lower Rings at the end of the bridge.

Lots of throwing and manipulating throw line practice from ground level, and 2' up. Lots!

*** Another fear is "gaffing out" while using spurs --- but I understand this happens to everyone(?) --- Gerald Beranek said (as I recall) that when it happens you have to be ready in an instant to shorten your lanyard to keep yourself from sliding down the tree --- and you only have a second or two to react.
You're right Robert, it happens and it's a lot more probable on crooked gnarly stuff but if you can stay on the high side of the tree and don't step on the bottom side of knots or limbs it helps immensely. It happens so fast, there's really no way to prepare yourself except to keep slack out of your climbing line but most of the time only one gaff comes out and the other one will keep you from coming off the tree. Most of the time it's not a big deal and unless the groundie is watching close, no one else even knows it happened. In my experience, it happens more to those that really worry about it:D

Gaffing out sucks and hurts but it's nothing to be afraid of. Happens more often to those that fear it. Once you get used to being on spurs, you can catch yourself before the second one slips.

Be sure your spurs don't point towards something you don't want to spur...like your other foot in case you gaff out. Don't take real high steps with gaffs...that can be a good way to endanger your other leg. You are gonna gaff out...it's just a stumble, doesn't have to be a big deal.

I just drag my spur up the tree slightly. Gives me extra "feeling", keeps my rope running across the top of my boot and not under spur, if not clipped to my hip and into my rope bag in back, and to prevent it from pointing at soft stuff, like my leg.

At some point, some time you will slip or have a small branch break and you will drop into your system...it will happen, the important thing to remember is to always keep your system snug, don't let a lot of slack get into it. That way, when the inevitable happens it will be minor, a little heart stopping and pulse racing for a moment, but your system will catch you before you go too far, and usually all that is bruised is your ego.

^^^^ I thoroughly agree with Bob in the post above mine! Take your time, especially now while you are learning. There is so much that you can do with a really good handsaw (Silky) that there is plenty of time to practice climbing and then add cutting with the handsaw, get more confident, then if you feel you need to, add the chainsaw (after some training!)

I hear you on the struggle to advance up the tree by throwing your lanyard, or main line...it can be very tiring. One of the best ways to get past that is to set a high TIP from the start, either with your throwbag or use a Big Shot (did they show you that?) It took me a while to get more fluid at advancing up the tree with changeovers, then I discovered the high starting TIP set with a Big Shot and oh boy did it make a difference!

You are gonna gaff out...it's just a stumble, doesn't have to be a big deal.
It should doesn't have to, but it does for me.
The worse is when using the chainsaw. Once, topping a dead black locust, I ended hanging by my chainsaw's handle stayed in the cut. I had my lanyard of course, but there was nothing to catch it : smooth straight wood, small diameter, no bark anymore. Add to that the shitiest spurs ever made and not enough skill/training with this stupid gear, then you can figure how was my mood when I finished to wreck the tree.

I improved the scheme since, both the gear and the skill, but I can't find myself comfy staying on two or even one small bit of wood's fibbers.

An essential tool for me to advance the rope is my 15' telescopic pole. It saves me a giant amount of time, energy and keeps the frustration at a very low level.

Keep both hands on your flip line while advancing it. This is the most likely time you'll kick out. If you kick out, lean back and tick your elbows on. You'll bark your knuckles good but stop almost immediately.

Back