63 Years old, overweight, just returned from 5 day climbing class

rfwoody

Treehouser
Although I have had much respect and admiration for you "working climbers", after taking a 5 day tree climbing class for entry level tree workers, I have 20 times more respect for you.

Climbing trees is a lot harder (physically AND mentally) than I thought it would be.

At 5'11" and 220 lbs, I fancy myself in pretty good shape for my age (and weight).

When I returned home, I was mentally and physically DRAINED for several days, especially the first day.
Didn't get sore (except blisters on my hands, and a few leg cramps)... but I was 100% exhausted... mentally and physically.

I was discouraged and thought, I'm too old for this.

But now that its been a few days and I'm feeling better, I'm reconsidering it.

Class was taught by Peter Jenkins of Tree Climber's International.
Peter is a gifted instructor who emphasizes safety and simplicity.

We learned the doubled rope technique both closed, with a modified Blake's Hitch, and open, a hitch-pulley system with the Michoacan hitch.

Now debating whether to buy the climbing stuff and practice at home, with no cutting unless/until I get some confidence.

One rule I have and try to always keep is no chainsaw when I am fatigued... so I would have to be able to get into the tree and in position without getting fatigued.... which is a big challenge at this point.

Hopefully some of y'all will be motivated by this post to give some more "bare-knuckled" comments and feedback!

Thanks!!

....Climbing trees is a lot harder (physically AND mentally) than I thought it would be.....

The mental component will become much less stressful and should in fact become enjoyable, as you gain experience. Could you be a little more specific as to what part of the climb you found the most physically demanding.

Fatigue and chainsaws are not a good mix. It's work, things can't always be ideal, but being especially careful is certainly warranted. It's a good point you've mentioned.

I think we take for granted just how physically demanding professional tree climbing is. The first full removal I ever did smoked me. Enervated. Its how I imagine combat must feel. But like anything else, if you practice, and allow yourself to get stronger, it gets easier. You'll begin to trust your equipment and your abilities, and then it's just training your body to take the strain.

Love it. 8)

The mental component will become much less stressful and should in fact become enjoyable, as you gain experience.
:thumbup:
Mental stress contributes greatly to physical fatigue. Confidence through practice will bring that stress and fatigue level way down. The fact that you weren't sore says that you're in better physical shape than you give yourself credit for. Hang in there Robert.

Learning and training.
The both are mandatory to begin to feel confident. At this time, you and your body have no idea how to climb properly and efficiently. That's normal, nobody can run in the tree the first day. The beginner has to learn how to do the tasks and at the same time has to teach his muscles how to work in the intended way. That's not obvious at all because nothing is prepared for these strange movements and funny positions, both the nervous system and the muscles.
It's the same with learning how to walk, to swim, to ride a bike, to play a music instrument and so on...

Most of the time, it's a long and difficult task day to day, but the body is fantastically well designed to do that.
Keep learning and trying, you will be amazed by your progress.

I thought for sure I'd be able to go a few more years, but I was wrong.

I could see I was eventually going to hurt myself, and I'm too old to be injured.

Best of luck, I quit that bit years ago after two knees and a shoulder getting destroyed. Look into joint exercises and maintenance to keep everything on point.

Pretty cool in my book.

Knowing when to come down for the day is crucial. Staying past that point is very dangerous. It's hard to do, usually because there's just a few more limbs or a few more blocks. I'm 41 and still have a hard time coming down when I need to. I've been doing more recreational climbing the last couple of years. That has really helped. It has helped me be more efficient in the tree. I work out for about 1.5 hours seven days a week at the gym. That really helps. I work everything but concentrate on core and legs. And end every workout with ten hard minutes on the rowing machine giving it all I've got. Makes moving through the tree lots easier. I would like to go to one of those classes. Sounds like you're off to a good start. The more time you spend in a tree, the better you'll get.

I remember when I started.

Either on the ground or in in the tree, as soon as I started a power saw I would sweat buckets. Not to do with the physical exertion but more the mental.

Once you get comfortable with your equipment and techniques and to trust yourself it will get easier.

I remember my first c!imbing course too, I was in my early 30's, and fit, but I was beat too! Sore and bruised, but like Marc A said the movements are unfamiliar,both for your mind and your body...keep at it, it will get easier. Once you have a better understanding of how to move in the tree, how to use your gear, your body will take up those motions and get used to them.
Word to the wise though, the older we get, if you have time away from climbing, when you go back to it, you'll be sore again for a few days till everything catches up again!

Different people find fun in different ways, climbing giant redwoods, yes, I can see that for the experience.

Going out and doing what you do on a work day on your day off? Doesn't make sense to me.

When I was starting out I would go out and practice on a day off, but that's different.

It is not something I do often anymore, Mick.

Sometimes we'll get a hankering for some treetop fun and go camping.

Having a fire and grilling a meal in a treetop is fun, especially with some beer. (make that: lots of beer)

Then we can sit and re-tell all the old climbing stories and just generally chew the fat all night.

treeboat1.jpg treeboat2.jpg

I hate that, too.

We have a saying: The shoemakers kids and the ferrier's horse always have the most wore out shoes.

I hate doing what I do for a living at home, so I always procrastinate.

Go figure.

Back