Floyd vs McGregor

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 108
  • Views 10K
This was just true to me…
"Two mouthy welterweights, neither the best role model for his respective legion of young fans, throwing mocking looks and punches in a spectacle of the inevitable."

I found this to be clever writing...
"There were A-list celebrities, D-list celebrities, people who consider themselves celebrities, swarms of Irish people wrapped in their country’s tricolors, and a posse of young women wearing shirts emblazoned with the name of a company whose website requires that you confirm you’re an adult. Also, some boxing fans."

Found this to ring true…
"During a four-city tour to promote the fight, they had engaged in foul-mouthed antics that reinforced how insufferable they might be in private company."

Love this…
"According to the Irish writer Ewan McKenna, McGregor has forfeited his opportunity to wear the mantle of working-class hero, writing recently in The Irish Independent that the athlete from humble means “could have been so much more than just this hollow shell with money.”

Lots more substance/truth in this article. But mostly I think I like the cleverness/intelligence of the writer.

aug

Yes, very well written and witty plus getting to the core of the matter as opposed to the mainstream media towing the official line of "Unprecedented fight of the century blah blah" or whatever similar rubbish was being spouted.

McGregor and the Diaz brothers throwing water bottles at each other at some press conference or whatever it was, isn't exactly roll model behavior by pro athletes...unless they were introducing a new sport.

Reg would probably like to see Tommy Hearns fight McGregor if he was still in his prime, possibly nobody hits like that in the MMA. Maybe vs Floyd for that matter.

Boxing is perhaps in the most diluted state ever. At one time there were just 8 world champions, fighting over 15 rounds. Now just 12 rounds, closer to 20 divisions and 50 so called world champions....most of which avoid each other. Mayweather picked McGregor, because he was minimum risk, maximum return. Coming from an Irish family, I felt a great deal of familiarity, comfort and humour in McGregors antics and pre fight boasting. Much of the same kind of BS and bravado I grew up on. Lots of embittered, jeolous boxers and sports writers now trying to discredit the whole thing....while Mayweather and McGregor are laughing all the way to the bank....good for them I say. As for Hearns, at 6,1 with a 78in reach, it's easy to imagine him eclipsing both of those guys within the same 15 minutes. But that was a different era.

Back