Floyd vs McGregor

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 108
  • Views 10K
L

Levi

Any boxing/mma fans going to tune in for this fight? Strangely symbolic of the death of boxing and rise of mma in my opinion. I'm hoping that Floyd wins but Conor seems pretty spry...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alright! First post and we have the grounds for a bet....8) The trash talking is hilarious, no doubt!

I have mixed feelings on this one.

I love boxing and even though people bash Mayweather for running and being boring, he has the sweet science mastered. The art of hitting and not getting hit.

I love MMA and think Mcbigmouth has a lot of talent. Just wish he would keep his mouth shut. If he kept his gob shut i would be rooting for him more. Some of those pressers they did were farcical. But he is a showman, a talented one at that.

I previously thought that Conor wouldn't land a punch on Mayweather. I have watched a couple of the video clips of the sparring with Maglinaggi. ex World champ put on his arse by a boxer who has had no pro fight.

Now i am not so sure who will win. Nah, take that back... they will both be winners and have the dollars to show for it.

McGregor will be hampered by a ( ridiculous) set of rules that he has not grown up with.

I've sparred around under different rule sets, and it really messes you up, takes a lot away from your instinctive way of fighting.

For that reason alone I think he'll lose.

Mayweather is certainly not my cup of tea, but I'd put my money on him.

Can't stand the mouthing off either, but then I was raised with two white clad people meeting, bowing politely, kicking the shit out of each other, then bowing politely again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good points, Rich. Both have wild personas for the public, both very talented, should be an interesting fight. Costs a hundred bucks to stream it live.:O

McGregor will be hampered by a ( ridiculous) set of rules that he has not grown up with.

I've sparred around under different rule sets, and it really messes you up, takes a lot away from your instinctive way of fighting.

For that reason alone I think he'll lose.

Mayweather is certainly not my cup of tea, but I'd put my money on him.

Can't stand the mouthing off either, but then I was raised with two white clad people meeting, bowing politely, kicking the shit out of each other, then bowing politely again.

C'mon you had to laugh when McGregor told Mayweather he dressed like a 7 year old breakdancer?

You ever boxed Rich?

Not a trick question, I never have.

Boxed a bit when I was a young boy, as well as a bit of Karate.

I have been practicing Muay Thai (Thai Boxing) since 1994. Although I have never fought under boxing rules I have spared and trained quite a lot of times - sans kicks, knees and elbows.

I always get frustrated when I box, or even spar K1 (Thai boxing without knees) for that matter. I get shoved into a corner and immediately want to grab them and try and knee the shit out of them.

As Stig pointed out, Conor will be hampered by a distinct set of rules but you never know, he has the power.

Would be funny as fuk though, if Conor got flustered and resorted to what he does very well.

I'm a macgregor fan in mma, but I don't really care too much about this boxing match. If CM wins, he beats an older boxer coming out of retirement. If Floyd wins, especially if by boring decision which is his custom according the boxing community, he beats a guy with no pro boxing to his credit. The only way it would be interesting is a KO by either side. No way I'm shelling out a hundo for this fight. If it turns out to be a good fight, most or all of it will be found online.

CM has shown to be a master at promoting his fights and the the world promo tour they went on started out good, then got really good (in toronto) then the wheels fell off in Brooklyn and I lost any interest in the fight. The fight jumped the shark at that point. If CM was able to build the usual intense interest in his fight (e.g CM vs Nate Diaz I) it would be must see TV because of the sheer massive interest in it. But now, both fighters emphasize the mega bucks they say they will earn (50-100 million) and it just seems like a money grab that is going to be boring, just like Pachquiao vs Mayweather.

Unless interest amps back up in a big way and soon, it could be a dud. As of last week, loads of good seats were still available for the fight.

Good boxing is of course a very high skill set and is good for self defense too imo, but compared to mma, it just isn't fun to watch. Mma is just way grittier and more interesting and has more aspects to it. And ironically enough it is also a bit safer than boxing as there are no standing 8 counts in mma and those allow boxers to take much more potential brain damage, whereas the fight stops in mma as soon as a fighter cannot defend himself

Would be funny as fuk though, if Conor got flustered and resorted to what he does very well.

Man, what wouldn't I pay to see that:lol:

I hate the MMA/boxing weighing in and ensulting stare contests. Hate it!

That is one reason I liked Genki Sudo so much.
A smile and a joke, them beat the crap out of them.

I recall the British Kyokushin fighter Michael Thompson telling how the Dutch champion Michel Vedel came over to him after beating him to a pulp in the British open, gave him some water with lemon juice in it and some tips on how he could improve his defensive leg work before they would meet again in the World championships.

That, to me, is how the game should be played.

Good boxing is of course a very high skill set and is good for self defense too imo,

Good for breaking your own hands, anyway.
When did you last hear about a boxer who fought outside the ring and didn't mess his hands up?

Boatloads of vids on youtube of guys throwing hands in streetlights and ending fights instantly. Don't know about their hand health.

The ninja dude that works for me has ko'd a few people in the street, he punches lots of things, he's broken numerous car wind shields with one punch, his hands get bruised but not broken, yet. His middle knuckle is built up about a 1/2" higher than the other knuckles.

My point is that boxers use gloves that teaches them to punch with their hands in an unnatural position.
So when they punch barehanded, they get hurt.So does the opponent, but being hurt yourself is not the idea.
Punching someone in the head without hurting your bare hand takes serious makiwara training.
I'll bet your guy hardens his hands.

Man, what wouldn't I pay to see that:lol:

I hate the MMA/boxing weighing in and ensulting stare contests. Hate it!

That is one reason I liked Genki Sudo so much.
A smile and a joke, them beat the crap out of them.

I recall the British Kyokushin fighter Michael Thompson telling how the Dutch champion Michel Vedel came over to him after beating him to a pulp in the British open, gave him some water with lemon juice in it and some tips on how he could improve his defensive leg work before they would meet again in the World championships.

That, to me, is how the game should be played.

I think that is what pisses me off the most about the antics of the pressers and the weigh ins. The lack of respect.

As a quick example... Anderson Silva was fighting Chris Weidman (Sp) for some wight class UFC title. The brazilian kicked Weidman and his tib and fib broke on impact with Weidman's knee. Anderson fell down screaming and Weidman ran around the ring cheers and chanting and in his post fight interview he was boasting how he had planned it all along and it was meant to break his shin. BS, it was a freak accident, but one that could have meant the complete loss of the limb.

In Contrast...

Dutch Thai/Kickboxer Tyrone Spong fought in a bout against Gokhan Saki in Glory 15, a high level kickboxing organisation. Spong threw a Thai style round kick, Saki blocked it and the Dutchman's leg broke on impact. Before he hit the deck, Saki was almost cradling him to the floor to reduce impact and was screaming over to get medics and alert people to the problem.

That is respect for you IMO. Some fellas in MMA seem to have lost that level of respect. Although the mouth does tend to sell the fight better.

Stig, I didn't know boxers punch differently with gloves on vs barehanded, interesting.

My guy doesn't do punching into the jug full of rice or anything, I think the knuckle got like that from punching things in the course of life:/:

That is not the best way of hardening knuckles.
Works better on souls.:lol:

I think that is what pisses me off the most about the antics of the pressers and the weigh ins. The lack of respect.

As a quick example... Anderson Silva was fighting Chris Weidman (Sp) for some wight class UFC title. The brazilian kicked Weidman and his tib and fib broke on impact with Weidman's knee. Anderson fell down screaming and Weidman ran around the ring cheers and chanting and in his post fight interview he was boasting how he had planned it all along and it was meant to break his shin. BS, it was a freak accident, but one that could have meant the complete loss of the limb.

In Contrast...

Dutch Thai/Kickboxer Tyrone Spong fought in a bout against Gokhan Saki in Glory 15, a high level kickboxing organisation. Spong threw a Thai style round kick, Saki blocked it and the Dutchman's leg broke on impact. Before he hit the deck, Saki was almost cradling him to the floor to reduce impact and was screaming over to get medics and alert people to the problem.

That is respect for you IMO. Some fellas in MMA seem to have lost that level of respect. Although the mouth does tend to sell the fight better.

I love that post, Rich.
Really said it well.
Thanks.

Even without the money, I don't think Floyd is worried. His tactics will befuddle CM. He can slip punches like no other, hence his record...and his riches.

It was for the middleweight 185lb title. Just as a different perspective, yes Weidman did celebrate after the stoppage but he also showed concern in the ring for Silva. He also said Silva was still the GOAT and he had loads of respect for everything he has accomplished. A lot was written about the kick that was checked by the knee causing the broken leg and he and his coaches said they trained obsessively to check those kicks cuz he had ben lit up by leg kicks in their first match up. I didn't hear they were trying to break his shin on purpose. As you know, throwing kicks has its dangers.

Those tactics were invented by the Italians in WW2.

The joke after the war in these parts were that Italian tanks had one forward gear and 4 reverse.

Floyd's fights can be a bit boring, but you can't really take too much away from a guy whose had fifty pro fights or something and his face looks untouched. People complain and want him to look like Jake LaMotta did after Sugar Robinson six times.

Back