Any TreeHousers In The Path?

Might be a blessing, considering how the public safety officials here are talking doom and gloom over how many visitors are coming to Oregon, and how difficult it is going to be to supply gas, groceries, emergency medical services, etc. Especially in the face of the extreme wildfire hazard level. Highways and most secondary roads in the path and outward at least a hundred miles are expected to be parking lots.

Hope everything turns out for you guys.

Did they have to draft thousands more people to.pump gas in Oregon for the festivities?

First time I went to Oregon I bout got in a fist fight. Little prick said I could not pump my own gas.

Little prick was right...state law :). We the public are deemed too stupid to safely pump our own :).

Funny thing is, prices for gas are not higher, and often are lower than in WA, ID, CA and western states farther away as well.

Highways and most secondary roads in the path and outward at least a hundred miles are expected to be parking lots.

Never going to happen, imo. Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe I just don't get it.

First time I went to Oregon I bout got in a fist fight. Little prick said I could not pump my own gas.

Omg I bet that was a funny scene

Lets get some total eclipse of the sun music working here

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j13oJajXx0M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Highways and most secondary roads in the path and outward at least a hundred miles are expected to be parking lots.

That was supposed to be the situation when I went to Austria in 99.

Nowhere near that.
Hotels, motels and campgrounds were booked up months in advance, but we went in a camper and just pulled in on a forest road to sleep.

I hope y'all are right. Make life much easier if it were so. But I'm not holding my breath for it...forecast 1 million visitors to a state with a total population of well under 4 million, all concentrated in a 70 mile wide by 350 mile long strip. That could get ugly.

Get in a car and go for it.

In 1999 I went to Austria for one.
Fantastic experience, don't miss out on it.

BTW, I've seen several "almost" eclipses, like 95%.
Nothing at all like the real thing when it gets dark, the crows flies home to roost and in my case, in Austria, the bell wearing cows all went home to the barn, making a hell of a racket on the way.

Let me say again, don't miss out on it, if you have a chance to go see it.

I saw '99 in totality as well. We lucked out. The weather was overcast in Bavaria and then an hour before, blue skies.

It is worth noting that anything other than totality, even 99.999% is just like normal day light so you won't "see" anything unless you use glasses, etc.

The 100% part lasted less than 2 minutes, but it got blacker than a lawyer's heart in that time. The temperature dropped. Oh yeah, best part, we partied like it was 1999 because it was!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The hell yea.

uWjwY.gif

2.5 hours. 95% Max coverage in Olympia

2.5 hours...??? What does this reference?

From what I read, the difference in experiencing full totality and 95% is something like the difference between looking at a Playboy centerfold when you are 15 years old, and having full loving sex with your best friend and life partner after being away from each other for a couple of weeks.

(My comparison, not something the astronomers offered :))

Yep, Burnham.
Like Nate said, even 99,9% doesn't give you the WOW factor.

The last time this (early 90's) happened, I wore a welding hood to observe the event.

I'm going to be working across the street from my window tinting guy on Monday. I may walk over and see if he has some scrap pieces of tint to put on some safety glasses to make something so we can see the eclipse.

I'm at about 97% totality. A friend and I are heading down to Joyce Kilmer memorial forest which is smack dab in the middle of the path. It should be an epic experience among some of the largest trees in the east. We'll definitely be getting some photos.

I bought some glasses on Craigslist, as the retailers and free programs were out of stock. Turned out to be Dahlia's classmate's dad selling extras, as they bought bulk for a summer camp program.

Needing to figure out where to go in relation to the "marine layer" (clouds roll in off the ocean often in the summer, buffering the temperature for a while in the mornings, then it seems to 'burn off' in 10 minutes, suddenly.

Almost...

Attachments

• 20953372_849448301880314_835897875703665401_n.jpg
    20953372_849448301880314_835897875703665401_n.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 29
I don't think so!

Attachments

• kYvBQQPx2IyQXtqIyG4IPI9ob8NoMqqxpAZrOUSuUT0.jpg
    kYvBQQPx2IyQXtqIyG4IPI9ob8NoMqqxpAZrOUSuUT0.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 25