Small chipper advice

Chippers sell for a lot more here than the US so I don't really know what it's worth, but 166 hours isn't much use. Depending how it was used of course.

Dave/DMc has had a BC600XL for years and he has no complaints about it. He would probably know what a good one is worth.

For what you need it should suit you. A Bandit would be better but pretty hard to find second hand, and usually high priced.

I had to hire the later model the 700XL a few months ago, bigger infeed (8") but much the same. It went pretty good on 3-5" mostly dead and pretty hard stuff.

But I'd rather have a Jeep at the moment.

It's a 2000, with the inline four cylinder Ford LRG-425 industrial motor.

I bought it second hand from a little Christmas tree farmer that was selling his land. It had less than 500 hours on the meter, 480'something. . . It had clearly spent every single day off its life outside, so when I got it back, I went over everything pretty good. New knives, anvil, and couplers from Bandit, checked and greased everything, belt tension, oil, filter, ext. Then I masked all the warning labels, even though it took forever, and sprayed the whole thing in John Deer green industrial enamel. It runs like a dream, fires right up, and destroys the brush. It's a great little machine. Cheers.

Oh, I paid 8K for it. Which was a lot, but it really was worth it.

14963078_1177927378909868_1647494914_n.jpg

Before.

00u0u_icTOlxnz075_600x450.jpg

14971334_1177619415607331_2092538405_n.jpg

Infeed table height was the points off on buying Bandit 6" ... Too low

Seems odd. Nice to have a low table so you can set your hitch so the tray is angled towards the rollers slightly, bringing the tray up slightly. Not much at all, but just a little bit.

I had a 250xp and a bc1000 and I really disliked the height of the Vermeer, to high. Easier to set limbs down instead of lift them up. Different machines than what's being discussed, but the Vermeer was definetly higher.

Also I would echo Micks thoughts. Light on power and two feed roller is much greater than one. I can hear the thump, thump, thump, thump ......thump of the Vermeer now. As it tries to grab the piece but slips off instead.

Sam the price you paid was cheap for that BB 90...different story here in cali though :|:

Love the Bandit 90xp.
Bought a 2015 85 hp Chevy motor....

Works amazing with new blades... stringy brush and dull blades is a feeding nightmare with that dead zone between feed rollers and blades....
7deec3363745c80b35fd7c42722dc950.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That's a great find Grendel! Perfect machine for a one ton chip truck.
Anyone on here used a vermeer 935? I found one with the larger diesel (perkins I believe) in good shape. Just can't find out much about them.

Many years ago I rented a Vermeer 935 for a big clearing job I had. Worked ok, was more finicky to feed than the bigger 1250 that I was used to. I think it would have worked much better with sharp knives. At the time I was considering buying one but like most tree guys I was dead broke almost all the time back then. The Perkins diesel was great, much better than the gas motor.

My rent it yard crew weren't very sharp pencils , they actually disliked the Perkins because "it don't start good...". They were starting it in the yard sending the customers down the road with the machine idling. Tres Stupid IMO. My landlord at the time was a mechanic and thought the whole approach preposterous , we trouble shot the ignition system. Found faulty connections at the starter solenoid. Due to vibration the studs that the wires bolt to had backed out some. We repaired it putting it back on normal operation , stupid pencils back at their yard didn't even appreciate it. Left there more determined than ever to buy one and quit renting. Was a Bandit 90

935 is our 'work' chipper. It is a heavy duty unit. Single feed roller, but it's built like a tank.

We've had good luck with ours. . .

Back