Small chipper advice

flashover604

TreeHouser
Hi all. I'm looking at a Vermeer BC600XL tonight. I wasn't actively searching for one, it kind of found me. A guy wants to buy my jeep and mentioned that he had a chipper he might trade towards it. It's a Vermeer BC600XL with 166 hours on it. I've got a guy that picks up my wood that's big enough to burn, so we're left with a lot of brush under 3-4". Any opinions on the Vermeer? I know it's got a narrower throat than the bandits. Any idea what it might be worth in great condition? He'll have to really want my jeep and be willing to let it go really cheap I think, but I'd like to go into it knowing whether it's worth much or not.

Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been seeing low hour bc 600s for 6-7k, how much is your Jeep worth?

I haven't actively advertised it for sale. My nephew drives it to work sometimes and people always ask him if it's for sale so I told him to start telling people that I'd take $10,000 for it firm. I had this guy call me to look at it then had a second guy come back two days after the first guy with $10,000 cash to try to buy it out from under the first guy.

They're okay for branches but a 9'' bandit is much much better in my opinion, the vermeer 600's can be a bit of a hassle. My guess is you will immediately want a bigger one.:D The older vermeer 700s or something like that with a diesel engine do much better.

The trade off to the Bandit 9" ( rented it many times w the Perkins Diesel ) is more truck to haul it and fits into less places , at least around here. I would love to own one for bigger or Clearing jobs for sure.

Looking at the specs, I don't like it! If it's the 27hp Kohler petrol motor.

Might suit you perfectly, but too much iron for not enough poke.

Single roller as well, me no likey!

If you doing tree work part time and not chipping over 4" a 6" ver would work (i dont like the single feed wheel)...6" bandit would be better

If your more serious about tree work go with a bandit 9" at the minimum

Good call on the feed wheel, the few times I used one I felt like I was the second wheel!:lol:

I know there is an art to feeding limbs into any chipper, large or small but with the 6'' vermeer it was just waiting, waiting, waiting...

I rented the 6" Bandit a few times , two different motors ... Was a good machine. Little extra breakdown w the saw and I got work done.

Huh...listening to you guys, sounds like my little 6" Chipstar is a great deal!
Single roller with lift and crush, auto feed, variable feed rate for the roller...27hp diesel that ran for 14hrs before needing to top up the tank...

But the piece of wire that got missed cost us $250 for a new set of blades and fasteners...

I like Vermeer products, I have a few, but I think you will be hating life with that chipper. The first time jamming a crotch in the feed chute throat you will find that there are not enough swear words in the english language.

Downside to a 9 in chipper is there way less common tho... Maybe some Brits will chime in, I think they tend to use smaller chippers.

Back