Small chipper advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. It's a pretty rare bird. 1982 CJ-8 Scrambler. They made 27,792 give or take between 81 and 85 with 200 or so sold as 86s. It's longer than the CJ-7. The nice thing is that almost everything interchanges with the 7, other than brake lines, rear driveshaft, etc... Makes it fairly inexpensive to maintain.

Do you guys see anything glaringly wrong with it? It's 120 miles away. The guy with the Vermeer wanted $6500 for his.

Hard to tell , looks like no rust for sure , infeed chute shows it's well used ... Motor looks big , what is it ? ... Oh yeah price seems right.

I just messaged the owner to see if they know which engine is on it. I may go look at it. How should I go about checking the bearings? Spud bar underneath and see if there's any play? If I get it I imagine I should be able to sell it if it doesn't work out without losing too much on it.

Looks like a two cylinder petrol engine=underpowered.

Don't compromise, think to yourself "what chipper do I REALLY want/need" then find a way of getting it.

Bouncing around picking up anything going is a recipe for getting a pos.

Looking at the picture I see four plug wires so I'd imagine it's a four cylinder engine at least unless they're running two plugs per head, but they'd be spaced quite a ways apart.

I understand what you're saying Mick. Right now I think a smaller chipper would suit me fine. I don't mind wheeling and dealing a little. I've made a decent amount of money haggling and reselling stuff. It's nice when I can get a little use out of it before peddling it down the road to see if it fits the work I do. I just like to get as much info on whatever I'm looking at so I can make an informed decision. I appreciate the advice.

Pretty sure when I was renting the Bandit six , the yard had upgraded to the Gas Wisconsin 4 , forgot what the smaller one was. Ran good , two people can move that machine into backyards where the truck wouldn't fit. Know this from doing ...

It seems that parts are a little hard to find and therefore a little more expensive. If I go I'll check the oil, let it run and see if I get much blow-by on the rings.

Like Jim said. They can be finicky. My boss had one on his old stump grinder. Model 6A I believe. We carried a Maddox to tension the belt and he new just how to smack it to make it start if it was in a mood.

Tires are easy, and often needed due to weathering, not road wear (had a flat after a dump run yesterday on an old trailer I've been looking to upgrade). Bearings may need grease.

Back