I watched him use an Axe !!

mdvaden

Treehouser
Odd, but maybe not, I found myself tonight on Youtube watching video of people using an ax and some manual saw labor, felling trees. I've done the same before growing up on my parents small property in Oregon, so it's not unfamiliar. I use power saws, and I know most of you use power saws. But tonight, watching, was a short reminder of the effort and method trees used to be cut. Although it's not easy, each chop on the video reminded me how much I used to enjoy using an ax. An honestly, it was relaxing and satisfying in some ways, provided there was no rush.

All hand labor in the woods back in the day for logs , ten egg breakfasts were normal. How about TDR's with Fanno number 8's , had to be crazy hard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can you imagine axe cutting the face on a 10 foot diameter redwood ?:O

On Youtube, some folks write cutting "giant" tree even though it's only a few feet diameter. I was looking for maybe a sample 10 feet using an ax. Did find this old documentary. And even in the first minute where the guy goes up to remove the top, that looks like something I wouldn't try for fun. That's sure a lot of whacks above the flip line. Starts chopping the top around 1:30 in the video ...

My guess is that most any non-defective trunk would be something relaxing for me, up to about 4 feet wide. Provided I can keep my feet on the ground.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DLCCzLQ4V8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Would he run circles around Jake??

Thought I posted this before

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A0mfqkfc-Tg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool video! I like the theme, pay homage to the tree and the ones who came before.

I get it, Mario. When I lived in the woods I cut down quite a few trees with axes and cross cuts. A great meditation and an honest way to work!

My hands are tough but swinging an axe like that all day and they'd be shredded

I really think the reason I could tag a baseball so far in high school was due to the amount of firewood I had hand split .I was 6 feet all as a senior .Weighed around 180 pounds and swung a 36" Louisville slugger ,Babe Ruth style .

Back