Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I broke my new bucket truck already...

Default So I broke my new bucket truck already...

Nothing major, but two days ago I finally broke off the stupid cover on the material handler. On my big truck the material handler is in between the bucket and the boom so it's relatively protected. This one hangs outside on the opposite side of the boom. And this truck was designed for telephone/cable work, not tree work, so compactness and line of sight aren't big concerns.

So today I went online and ordered two large cutting boards measuring 18"x24". https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The high density polyethylene will hold up well to abuse. This is also handy for rebuilding saw scabbards instead of paying the outrageous prices from the arbor supply houses. I also went by Steel Plus and picked up 12' of 1.5" angle iron.

My plan is to build a frame with angle iron and bolt the polyethylene to the outside. It will be a lot more compact than the original but still protect the critical components. I will remove the inner molding to get it out of the way and allow me to see between the boom and material handler so I can watch for obstacles instead of having a massive blind spot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0090.JPG  
    -Brian

Good idea re the cutting board. I use a piece of orange plastic on the wear areas of the saw scabbard, I found it on the beach and it is a material similar to cutting boards. The scabbard dates to 1994 and sees use almost daily.
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Good luck fabricating!

Those dang shrouds should be stronger...

The shrouds are only designed to insulate the truck from power lines. They were never designed to be shoved into trees. I'm putting the cutting board on the outside in order to help maintain some level of insulation. I refuse to use those stupid plastic bolts though.
    -Brian

I love repurposing stuff, tanaka drills comes to mind. There should be a college course for it so some of these idiots getting out could have some use in life.

Stuffs gotta be tough for tree work
    "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

And any extra cutting board, you can make stacking plates for wedging.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

Quote Originally Posted by CurSedVoyce View Post
    And any extra cutting board, you can make stacking plates for wedging.
    Rebuild saw scabbards. In fact I may buy a couple more since they are so cheap. Got some places I can use them on the big truck as well.

I'll take more pics as I put it together. Wanted to show the 'before' so that the 'after' makes sense.
    -Brian

I like the scabbord Idea. I might try and make some. Just instead of those cheap ones that come with the saw.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

I'm talking about the ones that hang in the bucket. Arbor supply houses get a fortune for them. The 'economy' ones sell for $200.
    http://www.treestuff.com/store/catal...=29&item=15084
    -Brian

Yeah, I get what you are using them for. Slide the bar in on the side of the bucket. I am thinking I might make something in the back of the support truck to slide them into. Damn plastic ones aint worth a cats ass. I has an idea.