GRCS techniques/ tricks/ tips

SeanKroll

Treehouser
New kid on the GRCS block.

Looking for help with production advice. Maybe there is already a good thread. Can anyone point me there?

I understand the mechanics of it the device, and know to fairlead into it vertically.

When do you use the bollard and when the winch? Can a Simple 3:1 work with that bollard for light pretensioning?

How is it to bomb onto the strap with no visor plate?

Rope wraps jumping onto itself sounds like an issue at times. Prevention tips? De-SNAFUing tips? Is it an issue of 'snubbing' off the rope on impact, or a problem while lowering long distances, or...?

I have 5/8" Stable Braid. Thinking going for the greatest capacity and getting a 3/4" rope. Stable Braid? Other suggestions? I'm going to need to look into Puget Sound Rope http://www.cortlandcompany.com/puget-sound-rope, which Roger Barnett has bought from.

No specific questions exactly. Just discussion.

BTW, I have two large and medium dead alders that I want to hang whole, or tip over whole to lower into an available landing zone. Beyond that , it just looking for general info, and valuable experience.

I never use the visor plate , just don't hit the expensive winch with work. Mostly use 1/2" and 9/16" lines. Still have yet to use the Aluminum Bollard.

I don't have the actual grcs, but I have one that I made with a comparable non self tailing winch. One thing I like doing with mine on occasion is adding a block to the piece you are lifting, and leave the bitter end tied at the anchor point or at another anchor point, so that way you get double the purchase and can use different rigging points to get a better position or lower forces on the trunk. A tag line with a carbiner will allow you to retrieve the system with the ground guy pulling it back up too, and they can't screw you and accidentally run the rigging line thru the block that way either lol. I def don't use it often that way, but it's handy sometimes. You can also use it as the winch line on a derrick for loading stuff if you don't have hydraulic means to do so (and can get the truck to the tree easily), use the last bit of trunk as the column, use a porta wrap for the lifting of the spar (which you dont move under load unless to boom down), and use either a rope or a strap to choke the end of the spar to the trunk a few feet up. Works stupid good, especially with the drill attachment. I've rigged them up at work that way with a few chain falls and a chunk of pipe strapped to a beam or column, works so well I'm mad I didn't learn that trick sooner in my career. Saves a bunch of manual lifting stuff that you shouldn't have to do by hand

I only use the winch when I need to lift. I use the bollard the other 90% of the time. We really don't have trouble with the rope jumping over itself unless someone decides not to use the pigtail. Then if you tend the rope in to the inside it will jump over itself then you're in trouble. I don't use the visor plate either. Just get the strap tight as you can. I've had it slip up the tree a couple feet a few times. Especially on an extremely tapered or odd shaped trunk where all 4 feet don't bite in. New ropes seem to slip when using the winch. I'll pack as many wraps as possible and when the cranking gets hard It will slip. Sometimes a handful of dirt will help. Or someone pulling on the tail of the rope. Older ropes don't seem to have this problem. Take the handle out when after tightening when using the winch. When not winching I prefer the bollard since it's lighter and if something gets away from me I haven't lost as much. It never has, just a precaution. If you break the plastic jaws the winch would be almost useless. It sure is nice in storm damage. And pretensioning the rope for negative rigging.

Willie told me that he never used the bollard, and since he is my guru, then neither do I.
Haven't used it a single time.
Have dropped some fairly big stuff into the rope, since we sold the Hobbs to Pete, and so far it has taken it all.

Make a habit out of always removing it from the tree, once you get to where you start dropping stuff, or you'll hit it eventually.

I made up a long 3/8" dead eye sling that I hang the frame off of so one man can install the GRCS easier.
The visor has seen a handful of uses but mostly without.
The winch strap needs to be set and retightened a few time on its maiden voyage to work out the slack on the drum.

We made a video on how to service the innards, greg good will get it to if you ask him

Back