Black Bears Matter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is that a park ? They seem to be fishing , in second pic up on the rock between the two what's that ?

Another local story , there's a development that was built decades back in my town's prime Bear habitat (probably wouldn't be permitted today) , homeowners association has for many years provided and required steel bear proof containers for garbage at every single house after so many problems even back when the population was low. Few years back a homeowner with an adult bear in his screened in porch shot and killed it with a crossbow.

... always thought the Crossbow was a nice touch , completely legal to own one here but hunting with one was always a big no (unless you had a special handicapped license) ... now they allow them

Is that a park ? They seem to be fishing , in second pic up on the rock between the two what's that ?
Anan wildlife viewing area on my district. There's a daily permit system during the viewing season. Those are some fish entrails on the rock. The fish are plentiful so the bears often eat the select parts and leave some. The eagles, ravens, gulls, and crows clean up the scraps.

Rereading this thread, MB had a great line-

OK

Two Stigs!!!

I had a black bear a good way into my van through the driver's window one time in Lake Tahoe about 16 years ago.

I started closing my van windows most of the way at night.

Something about waking up with a startle from my comfy bed, sitting up quickly, seeing the opaque driver's and passenger seats that my feet were touching, with my head in the rear (rear doors were designed without an interior release handle), and the silouette of a bear against the mostly dark view through the windshield quickly backing out.
My guess its jump up and climb in shook the van, waking me, while its rear paws were still outside the window.

Two falls ago my buddy was hunting on another friend's land , shot a mid sized deer. Went down to the house and they got the tractor , forwarded the deer and put it in the back of the truck. Went the 200' back to the house , parked the tractor and had a quick celebratory drink. Came back to the truck and Yogi had the deer halfway out of the truck. Scared him off , he was ready to drag the deer off a few yards and eat it ... stealing really

Don’t see many (any) bears here, but Jerry mentioned ‘Smorgasbord’!
My favorite was back in the 1970s: “fjord’s Smorg-ette” in Ukiah. Great food.

Back