hinge du jour

Status
Not open for further replies.

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
stone dry ash from the bucket....

interesting that this rectangular hinge comes right on the heals of the triangular hinge wood thread... do you believe in God yet? :)

Attachments

• rectangular hinge.jpg
    rectangular hinge.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 206
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
another fat hinge from the bucket... ash... earlier trees were blowing up hinges to the side weight..

Attachments

• another fat hinge.jpg
    another fat hinge.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 102
The curving back of the hinge, I'm guessing that provided a special effect to the fall but you won't explain it just like the last one you wouldn't explain?

The curving back of the hinge, I'm guessing that provided a special effect to the fall but you won't explain it just like the last one you wouldn't explain?

You got it!

This is a white pine that looked like it may have had some front lean, but one large lead was hanging off the back making it hard to judge so we threw a line up top and tied off to the stump grinder since we didn't have the skid steer and it wasn't worth putting a truck in the backyard...

I plunged the back cut and accidentally took more off the near side than I had planned, right when the plunge started.... But I wasn't worried or I wouldn't have been so sloppy there (which is to say not at all sloppy).. The near side drop zone was all open, with only one old overgrown apple to clear, if the tree went to that side, but there was a house within 10' on the far side, so I left the hinge quite a bit fatter on the near side (tapered hinge) to give a little added protection from going to the house direction... ended up making an interesting looking hinge... I pre-tensioned the line and just kept cutting til she went... which is not how I normally do things, but needed here..

bottom line is it was unintentional

This is not much of a hinge.. cut by the "electric company", which around here is Asplund... Driving by yesterday, I had to take pic... that's my car in the background

Attachments

• bad ash hinge.jpg
    bad ash hinge.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 86
Why would they be bothered to make things properly if it works more or less well like that. Morons.

This is not much of a hinge.. cut by the "electric company", which around here is Asplund... Driving by yesterday, I had to take pic... that's my car in the background

Maybe they're just mavericks not willing to bow down to conformity, willing to push the envelope.

Anyway, they were probably just 10ft spars, everyone went home, nothing got smashed.

I was trying to get this one short to clear some wires, which are invisible to the the video.. cut the wide notch which helped , but you can see it turner even more after the but hit the top of an adjacent trunk on the way down. Not sure if that made a difference but I remember that top coming pretty close to the wires

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uegoDcOCHBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back