hinge du jour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they're just mavericks not willing to bow down to conformity, willing to push the envelope.

Anyway, they were probably just 10ft spars, everyone went home, nothing got smashed.

Ive watched a fair amount of "electric company" clearing lately as my area underwent a big clearing program around the wires after Hurricane Sandy. They generally are very low skill, very slow, no hard work whatsoever, and they always get it done.

I like the ashplundth and Nelson boys. They spread tales of me far and wide. I'm the crazy SOB that works miracles:O
I agree Cory. I hate power line work but they do it day in and day out. Always gets done. Just wish my power would stay on while they did it

Ive watched a fair amount of "electric company" clearing lately as my area underwent a big clearing program around the wires after Hurricane Sandy. They generally are very low skill, very slow, no hard work whatsoever, and they always get it done.

I hear ya! We had the line guys come in and do a big oak over the lines a few months back, all natty crotch with three strand until the switched out to a steel binder for the big wood. I have to admit I was a little scared watching them and working with them. Plus the big boss, the guy in the s10 that just watched, was ok with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nothing fancy here... pretty much the opposite.. easy straight stick, high pull line on loader, fairly open DZ..... and wanting to get on to the next job

Attachments

• hinge sloppy ash.jpg
    hinge sloppy ash.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 115
Here's one from yesterday. Dry spruce, straight stick, hand pull... not much control there , and well suited for the task as not much was needed..

Attachments

• tree hinge hand pull spruce.jpg
    tree hinge hand pull spruce.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 96
Two crappy hinges in a row. I give up trying to see the virtue of either post.

Oops, my bad. Not supposed to be posting here :D.

Ignore, please. ;)

this guy broke the hinge pulling alone by hand and the tip was hanging up on a long limb from an adjacent tree..

That was impressive.. Strong dude!

Attachments

• 20171003_125841_resized.jpg
    20171003_125841_resized.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 85
Two crappy hinges in a row. I give up trying to see the virtue of either post.

Oops, my bad. Not supposed to be posting here :D.

You;re in it now... man up Dr B.... don't back down like a little bitch... tell us what makes them "crappy hinges". You want to talk shit... don;t leave us hanging like that... back it up!...

They were fast, easy and worked perfectly for their purpose... Please don't tell me it's not in the boy scout manual....

SHort vid of the first one coming.. dead ash... you can hear that center fat fiber pull squeaking all the way to the ground..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B5GyYnivxcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Little bitch?...:X

Eff you, Murph. Any sawyer worth the name can see what I mean...only you are in the dark.

Can this idiot, Butch...please.

I didn't actually call him a little bitch.... BUT if you want me to apologize I will...

I APOLOGIZE Dr B.... You are not a little bitch... you are a highly experienced tree cutter...

SO do me a favor.... don't throw mud and then rest on some false identity, "sawyer worth the name".....

If you're going to criticize, then back it up..

A man should be able to back up his words...

There are way too many assholes typing crap into the keyboard in online forums to make themselves feel good...

I'd hate to have to put you in that category.

I'd much rather have an intelligent discussion about how/why that hinge was made and how it functioned (which happened to be perfectly as per the video).

It wan't crappy... it was simply out of the box... Which in this case was simply for expediency.

Out of the box is the road to innovation in any industry or scientific field.

And there are always old dogs that resist innovation...

They call innovation "crappy", because it doesn't conform to their standards, which are the basis for their false identities.

They are the experts, they know the "right way", they teach the "right way" and anyone doing it differently is "an idiot"..

and then along comes Copernicus ....

Daniel, the stump in post #31 looks like the back cut has two cuts rather than just the typical one. The cut on the left looks like a plunge cut also. How is that quicker when dealing with such a straightforward tree than a single back cut?

Finally a decent question.... I've been waiting for that... so thanks for asking...

While I don't consider a plunge cut much harder to make, my recollection on this tree is that it was not plunge cut... I was cutting from the right side, reached around pretty far, but was a long way off the far side of the back cut, with a 24" bar...

The pattern you see on the left side, is actually from back-chaining the far side of the back cut, just before calling for the pull. That cut left the hinge a little thin in the middle, left side, while the middle right was a little thick. Seems to have made no difference in the fall, so the corners must have held the desired lay. Seems like the effect of thinning out the hinge is similar to center plunging the hinge in that repect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back