hinge du jour

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://youtu.be/UmRhYhGLUDU
This one is for you Daniel, is this guy an Innovator or an Idiot? I am not sure... super crazy ideas people have sometimes...

Not something I would be willing to try... most of my takedowns are very urbanized settings with many homes, walls, irrigation, etc. etc. To destroy... mostly piece-downs and rigging... but I love felling a fatty when I get a chance :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UmRhYhGLUDU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I don't see that catching on.

I'd just cut lower and push that sapling over.

Same thing I was thinking... but I wonder how it would work on a larger tree... I just stick to what I know works and occasionally try something new. All this stuff looks like it would take way too much time to set up. Rather just cut and push or something of that sort as you say.

Word on the bolt thing.

I've seen that slot cut before.

Any sort of chain/rope below the gob, then fasten it above before the back cut would serve the same purpose.

The tongue and groove keeps the tree from coming off the stump, retaining height, and as strong as the tree.

There was a video on TB. Feller kept the butt on the stump, branches and bole hit past the deck that was built around the tree, onto solid ground. No deck impact.

Fast enough to cut the T & G. I tried it. Tongue wasn't long enough to hold in the groove. I need to practice. It's actually seemingly a useful cut.

I thought about the tongue and groove hinge for the bad hinging woods, but never tried it. I was afraid that the tongue broke or the stump split with a heavy side lean (first purpose I can think of).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
wouldn't you need to angle the bottom of the tongue for clearance when it starts to rotate??

I have tried with limited success to keep the tree on the stump at waist to shoulder height by cutting an extra wide face with various configurations of hinges.... Seems like any significant bounce or side to side twist will tear just about any hinge, so this little trick is bound to come in handy, some time in the future.. gonna have to give it a test run.....

wonder who thought it up first and when??? My guess is its been around a while..

Thanks for posting and the discussion.... gotta love it when you can sit in front of your computer and learn tricks from people all over the world !!!

Word on the bolt thing.

I've seen that slot cut before.

Any sort of chain/rope below the gob, then fasten it above before the back cut would serve the same purpose.

Not any...... definitely harder to set up and execute reliably with a rope, especially of you need to protect something right under the tree... And when dealing with a big tree, that's a lot of force to control..

D

Not any...... definitely harder to set up and execute reliably with a rope, especially of you need to protect something right under the tree... And when dealing with a big tree, that's a lot of force to control..

D

Fair point, there was a video a while back where, using the roping it in to its own stump method, a big spar was held in place with a portawrap/friction device thing to lessen the shock, the guy let it go 5 ft down the hill.

and from a 48" oak , took all day yesterday to rig the brush.. bucket was maxed and this lead was out over a smaller tree

Attachments

• oak lead hinge.jpg
    oak lead hinge.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 49
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back