Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: hinge du jour

Quote Originally Posted by Burnham View Post
    Yessir, Levi. You are missing far more than "something"...maybe even more like "everything".

Felling is a very complicated subject, and it would appear you have not yet been exposed to those nuances.

That doesn't make you a bad fellow, or someone not blessed with intelligence...it just means you need more exposure to the subject. You'll learn and begin to appreciate the complexities, if you want to.

And here's a warning you better take to heart...that "one cut" on leaning trees has crippled or killed more than a few sawyers over time. Think barberchair.
    Thanks, Burnham. I'm sure that you're right, but I do hold to my sentiment that folks agonize way too much over this way or that way, like I said, if the desired outcome is achieved than it was right, right? I realize it could mean your life if you don't know what you're doing. Personally I feel I know plenty to keep myself alive in very limited felling needs at work, we'll see!

The one cut remark was meant to bring a bit of levity, maybe I should have used the laughing face instead of the plain old smiley, only joking though.

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

[QUOTE=rico11764;874628]
    Quote Originally Posted by CurSedVoyce View Post
    Maybe Rico would know [/QUOTE

As you well know, I made the mistake of critiqueing another man's cutting, so never again will I criticize another man's hinge. The cut in question is what Doug Dent referred to as a Pie Cost Ya! Hope all is well with you Stephen.
    Never a bad foot with me friend. I admitted my lazy ways on those tosses with lean to my favour. Burnam has called on my practice more than once early on. I learned a lot from those critiques and from others. Mind you, others have deaf ears outside boxes......
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

Re sweating the line, I did/do it, was shown it by my old boss years ago, just never had a name for it.

Do now though!
    Manly trucks for manly men.

Mick

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Hubby was sweating a line yesterday...helps to have those sailing skills when it comes to tree rigging time
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Banned

Norway spruce hinge from yesterday.... She went 45 ยบ and stalled.... didn;t actually mean to cut it like that, interesting effect though, so it made for a free lesson
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tree norway spruce hinge.jpg  

Well this thread got intense quick... as long as we are on the subject of hinges... this technique seems as though it would take quite a while to set up but the accuracy of the fall looks quite precise.

https://youtu.be/mqSny3GF-x8

Last edited by MasterBlaster; 10-13-2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: I fixed it!

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

That's cool, Dalton - but why? Just to see how it works?

The video says it's an old loggers trick to keep the tree on the stump while you pull, keeps it from lunging off in any direction... like I said it could be pointless labor but it was interesting to watch nonetheless lol.

https://youtu.be/UmRhYhGLUDU
    This one is for you Daniel, is this guy an Innovator or an Idiot? I am not sure... super crazy ideas people have sometimes...

Not something I would be willing to try... most of my takedowns are very urbanized settings with many homes, walls, irrigation, etc. etc. To destroy... mostly piece-downs and rigging... but I love felling a fatty when I get a chance

Last edited by MasterBlaster; 10-13-2017 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Fixed.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Yea, I don't see that catching on.

I'd just cut lower and push that sapling over.