"Triangle" Method of Falling Head Leaners to Prevent Barber Chair?

Look at it from this point of view : forget the hinge, it isn't the fiber's pull which makes the trunk splits, but only the bending of the trunk. How much bending a particular tree / specie can tolerate is the concern.

Find a way to avoid the excessive bending in the trunk and you will be all fine.
Then come all the cuts and hinges things regard with the lean and internal cohesion forces.

You can find different approaches between the advised techniques.

- Hold it back or reduce the force by cutting out a good part of the crown, it won't barberchair even with a bad cut.

- Cut it with a light saber, it can split partially by releasing the internal stress but you can't get a barberchair. So look at the speed cutting by side cuts and triangle cut (the one firstly presented in this thread). Boring the back cut belongs to this category too.

- Weaken the wood at the base to avoid building up forces. Coosbay doesn't live much fibers at the compression area, they crunch under the increasing load and can't hold the low side of the trunk. At the same time, it plays with the lever arms too. Boring the face weakens the future tension side (when the saw will come in this area).

Dissecting the cuts and looking precisely at their different effects in the process should be very interesting.

Here's the first time I tried it that really mattered. I got instructed ex posto facto that I was too tentative in the back cut...if I had been more aggressive and "chased" the back cut I think it would not have stalled on me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fSLTIBod_bw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looked a little sketchy but seemed to work as planned. Good communication and thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back