Bucket Truck Safety and Skill for Beginners?

Robert, instead of a bucket truck how about a stump grinder?

You can start off subbing to other treecos, get your foot in the door, and make more money doing it.

I bought my first bucket without any training. I did have a logging background and had been climbing for some years. So I could work on my own equipment, had a cdl, had experience at running a saw at height. I knew about getting equipment around in tight places, what I could do as far as wet ground. Then comes missing septic tank lids, gas and water meters. How unlevel of ground will it take and still be safe operating the bucket while leaning. ALWAYS BE TIED IN! Watch what's behind you in the way of electrical lines and roof tops.

I started out slow and worked my way up. Both of my trucks have materials handler on the boom. 2,500lb capacity. I don't usually go over about 5 or 600 lbs though when picking limbs or blocks. I would rather go light and make a few more trips than to stress something. I'll be using these for many years to come.

There's way too many things to mention but it can be done without prior experience but it's not recommended. I've been in this line of work all my life. I couldn't imagine completely changing line of work now. That's usually when you hear about bad things happening. I did have a few climbers around here that were purely old school, spurs and flipline only, that would let me come drag brush and run ropes just for the experience. If there would have been someone around here with a bucket I would have begged them to let me help but there wasn't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks a lot Ray, Merle, Ben and others for the practical insights and details of usage, problems, etc.
Thanks a lot everyone about the warnings!!!

*** I never have been shy about asking dumb questions :) ... for which I have often been (wrongfully) accused of being a smart a** :)

Butch, I have heard that before about stump grinding, from a savvy, smart, wealthy, insurance man I know, and others.
I very much appreciate the suggestion.

As far as tree work.........

.....There is a kind of person, often living in their parents' basement(?) who is fascinated with cops and police stuff....

They go on "patrol", listen to police band radio, hang around cops, etc., try to fit in with cops, etc., a cop wannabee, pretend cop, etc.

There is a specific name for that I heard on a movie(s) before.... does anyone know what it is?

That is sort of what I feel like here in The Treehouse.

To paraphrase what the "Schofield Kid" said to Clint Eastwood in "Unforgiven".... "I'm not like you guys"

But maybe it is a question of *scale* also.... You guys are giants... I am a pipsqueak.

... but to my "credit"... I am very serious about the *safety* and *science/mechanics* of tree work in my own sphere of activity.

Thanks again for responding to my questions and letting me hang out here.

Safety and the science/mechanics of how a cut limb reacts is the most important aspect of tree work. You can't get that from a book, it comes from experience watching it happen.. I would recommend finding a local tree company and going to work as a ground man for at least a year. Just work, and listen to direction. Work and listen to the directions given to you for the first 6 months, then start asking questions. The question you may come up with on the second week will probably be answered in the 4th week with out you even asking. Listen to the advice given, just LISTEN and work for the first 6 months.

I have owned 3 bucket trucks... first in 1989 til about 93, then it was probably 2007 before I bought the second.. I learned a lot about cutting and rigging in between... I had been climbing full time for a few years before 89, but still didn't know much because I was mostly self taught. I was EXTREMELY lucky to get out of those years with my nose and all fingers and toes.... I wouldn't recommend going that direction.... The only difference is these days there is youtube... however as a complete newbie you may have difficulty discriminating between the cowboys and highly skilled pros... then even if you find a highly skilled arb to watch, you need to figure out which of the techniques he uses should only be done a seasoned vet and which are solid fundamental skills to learn.

I will throw something out for the bucket ops.... I have found using a 12' pole saw to set the lower line can make a huge difference in rigging from the bucket, especially when you;re just a little short for the tree.. ANd I always like to use multiple overhead rigging points on any technical rigging... One of the best benefits of this is that it allows you to set the final rigging point out on a limb away from the trunk, so the pieces swing away from you and into a better LZ... THat's part of why I always use true blue for rigging so I can use a hybrid rigging system, with rings, blocks, shackles and natural crotch.. SO a block or ring in the high center and then satellite rigging points / redirects can be moved around the tree as needed... or often just one side high crotch to another and switch sides to rig depending on which side of the tree you;re on.. If you need a ground man to let a piece run, to keep from hitting you, more than once a month, you're rigging game could use some help..

Thanks murphy4trees.

<quote>
The only difference is these days there is youtube... however as a complete newbie you may have difficulty discriminating between the cowboys and highly skilled pros... then even if you find a highly skilled arb to watch, you need to figure out which of the techniques he uses should only be done a seasoned vet and which are solid fundamental skills to learn.
<quote>

as a complete newbie my initial/primary thinking is climbing spurs and a flip line on trees I know aren't going to break with me in them.
as a complete newbie, having watched a lot of youtube, and my imagination my main fear is..... climbing a dead/rotten tree and it fall over with me in it.

Safety and the science/mechanics of how a cut limb reacts is the most important aspect of tree work. You can't get that from a book, it comes from experience watching it happen.. I would recommend finding a local tree company and going to work as a ground man for at least a year. Just work, and listen to direction. Work and listen to the directions given to you for the first 6 months, then start asking questions. The question you may come up with on the second week will probably be answered in the 4th week with out you even asking. Listen to the advice given, just LISTEN and work for the first 6 months.

vharrison, this is what I am beginning to lean toward... finding an existing tree service with lots of experience (and with safety as a high priority, Merle!), who will take a chance on an older guy. Maybe working free for a few days (as someone else mentioned). Sounds like sound advice on LISTEN first "The question you may come up with on the second week will probably be answered in the 4th week".

Where my rope is going, you'll need a pole to retrieve it. I'll see if I can find video for ya..

try 4:20 on this vid... the only way to clear the roof was to get this tied near the balance point... tough to see in the video, but it just barely cleared the roof.. Not the greatest example but gives the idea

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/30p_eyywYhM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've just spent the last four days using a 12m nifty lift...track mounted. I had to get a National High Risk Work Licence to operate and be able to rent one over 10m
Before that in Bermuda I could rent anything, but it came with an operator, so at least I got to ride in one with a skilled operator before I set out to use on one my own.

There are two sets of skills, first how to set up the unit (whether truck mounted or trailed or self propelled) how to operate it SMOOTHLY and safely, how to 'fly' it to get to the spot you want to reach and then second, all the tree cutting skills, choice of cuts, how the timber will fall, where it will fall...

It's like working in an an aerial three dimensional puzzle with dangerous things that can killed you thrown in...BUT once the skills are acquired, WAY fun, and expands your versatility immensely.

A small throw line and grapnel can help rope positioning.

A short throw line and weight and throwline skills are enough.

Back