Mariposa Fire....hows Stephen doing??

After action reviews are the stuff this sort of hind site and garnered wisdom for next time, are made of. Nobody gets everything right every time.

Another example. I thought I had all the pigtails and adaptors I would need to run 220 off the gennys to push well pumps. Robs genny has a different type. One of those, are you kidding me moments!
Muffler fell off my genny last night onto the wood deck. Scrambled around found some BBQ tongs and stopped the deck from catching on fire from a red hot muffler. Went to fix it this morning. Stripped threads in the head. Closer look, had a flange set up originally, and the guy that had it before me fixed it with jb weld. Something, brian, you would have probably picked up on and had fixed right up. And I can't find the damn battery for the electric start. Gremlins I tell you!! :lol:

On your next trip into town pick up one of these! Cordless bluetooth garden hose ;)
Sorry, just a bit of humor. Having lived through the oakland hills firestorm i truly know just how horrible it is to experience this.
image.jpeg

good to see your safe Stephen! seeing all the beetle kill up there last year was a real eye opener. so much fuel. just last month our manager was asking us if we would be willing to go out for up to a month to cut dead trees around the transmission lines up there. pg&e cant keep up and one of the contractors they hired had a fatal incident. havent heard anything since about it.

Been some incidents for crrtain. More than one fatality. Crazy stuff Jamie.

Snuck out and made a run to town for some supplies. I'll make another tomorrow.
Found one restaurant open and brought home a treat for Rob & Katy. Some Carne Asda butritos...... :)
Some conflict on road closures by different agencies. I made it back in though. Pays to be friendly, have good relationships and reputations with the right people is all I can say :)

After Hurricane Irene the road closures were crazy , at the time I was running a nondescript used power company truck w steel cap and beacon light ... Everyone waived me through.

It's the thought that counts. I'm a whitey and I can still bust a move or two in the name of precipitation.

Glad you're still hanging in there Stephen.

A hell of an adventure, probably something you would rather not be going through but it sounds like you are handling it like a pro. Good times are sure to come!

I would do a rain dance but I am the wrong kind of Indian.
Glad things are status quo.

:lol: Making me laugh.
Someone in town said something similar. I reminded them, this time of year rain=thunderstorms=lightening=more fire......
Gerry, I know what you mean. I saw a picture last night of a building in Bullion, that was once a church and school. A family lived there now that we did work for. Just ashes. Nothing left. Someone posted a before picture of the place, and you could see the oak I pruned and cabled. After pic, gone. Horrible things happening to good folks.
Sadness

Even with the risk of lightning here any rain we can get has been welcome. Seems to be deciding factor often in getting fires contained.

Sure hope things get back to regular for you soon. Get your family all home and safe.

Funny timing. It just started raining here like two minutes ago. First time in weeks. Not supposed to last though.

I guess the rain/lightning is a double edged sword. Only worth the risk of new starts if a good soaking comes not if you just get a wee piddling.

Back in my ROW days...

In an effort to make it rain so we could shut down and go home, some guys would draw a crude turtle in the dirt and then piss three circles around it.

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

:lol: Making me laugh.
Someone in town said something similar. I reminded them, this time of year rain=thunderstorms=lightening=more fire......
Gerry, I know what you mean. I saw a picture last night of a building in Bullion, that was once a church and school. A family lived there now that we did work for. Just ashes. Nothing left. Someone posted a before picture of the place, and you could see the oak I pruned and cabled. After pic, gone. Horrible things happening to good folks.
Sadness

I am glad I could add some levity to the situation. Hell of a thing big fires!

. I made it back in though. Pays to be friendly, have good relationships and reputations with the right people is all I can say :)

Yeppie, goes a long way

I would do a rain dance but I am the wrong kind of Indian.
Glad things are status quo.

😂

In an effort to make it rain so we could shut down and go home, some guys would draw a crude turtle in the dirt and then piss three circles around it.

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

🙄

Geez you levitate too? Just what kind of a injun are you?:D

👨🚀 a flying one

Need a break. Little flare ups are persistant. Pisses ya off. You see other evacs lifted and here ya sit Watching the helicopters
And crews go by. Map shows the hot spots further out, but the crews are still mopping up, dealing with flare ups and cutting more fire line behind me. So still no power, and restricted movement. Most tree guys I know don't handle not working so well, I am probably no exception. Right guys on the road block, I can get out and in. We have a lot from out of the area right now. Soooooo not really wanting to get trapped out.
Still have plenty of water and fuel, but animal feed is getting low. See what tomorrow brings.

Back