Mariposa Fire....hows Stephen doing??

Good to hear.
I might want to go climb one, some day.

Dang. For climbing a tree? Murica.

Hope things are better, Stephen.
10% of 70k acres isn't awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I climbed one once. Night in jail, and a hefty fine for my efforts!

I have been over to climb Sequoias several times,which Stephen knows, so it was meant as a bit of a joke.

And the hardest part about climbing them is certainly keeping out of sight of rangers, so as to avoid that situation.
Jerry B. has been caught, too.

I don't know how hard they'd actually treat a dumb foreigner,who clearly didn't know the rules, but it is not a chance I want to take.
All the

Mick, do you have any idea how many mature Sequoias there are.
Take a million climbers to ruin them.

I have been over to climb Sequoias several times,which Stephen knows, so it was meant as a bit of a joke.

And the hardest part about climbing them is certainly keeping out of sight of rangers, so as to avoid that situation.
Jerry B. has been caught, too.

I don't know how hard they'd actually treat a dumb foreigner,who clearly didn't know the rules, but it is not a chance I want to take.
All the

They might go hard on certain foreigners. Rangers are reading websites and blogs now looking for evidence of violation. Taylor, the tree discoverer, mentioned getting fined due to a ranger looking at his drone video from over a certain forest. Another guy on Youtube got nailed for posting evidence of his climb. So if a foreigner so much as mentioned the topic on a blog, website or forum like this, they would probably cross-reference, and likely already keep a list of names people don't realize.

Permits would never be issued, so it certainly boils down to hide and sneak if it's going to happen at all in a national park like that.

Nah, I just stick with hide and sneak.
We have to do it the same way here, if we want to climb in State forests.
Can't get a permit.

They'll gladly pay me to climb and top their trees, but they won't let me do it for fun.

I can see how those internet fora that have recreational treeclimbing subfora would maybe be perused by rangers, but I am nowhere near paranoid enough to believe they would spend time going through threads here, looking for Danish offenders to persecute:lol:

Going to bed now.
Stephen I hope all is well with you and yours.

All is well. From the map this morning, my area looked cooled down and slowed down a bit. All around less heat. They bombed the shat out of the river canyon behind us until they ran out of fuel at the airport again. They are using the retired Castle AFB in Merced.
Expecting the same wind issues as the last few days. Weather is going to start a warming trend. Not good news, but hopefully the extra resources will get more progress today and tonight with less flare up.
Town may open today. Waiting for word that we will be allowed back in if we leave to resupply. Still have fuel and water. Still have food. Have to use it up anyway since it is costly to keep it cold. About out of ice for drinking. Having ice water helps a lot in hot weather.
Kids were sounding a bit done on the phone last night. I guess grandma's is all great until you spend the week there. :lol:
I know they just want to come home and be here not stressing about mom, dad and stuff.
I just need a shave and shower soon. Maybe I'll talk Katy into a sponge bath :/: :lol:
Well.... see what comes of the day. More engines running down the street. Phone battery needs a charge.
I'll update as best I can.
Need to go fix the genny from last night. Muffler fell off. Don't need to start another fire.

Hold the fort, brother. We are all thinking of you and yours, and hoping for the best.

I cannot imagine why you have not gotten around to sending that check to cover shipping on the rappel rack...
:lol:

Isn't this your area, Stephen?

CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER FLOWN OUT AFTER APPARATUS ROLLS AT THE MASSIVE "DETWILER" WILDLAND FIRE

A Firefighter fighting the Detwiler fire in Mariposa County (California) was airlifted to a Fresno hospital after a fire truck crashed this morning.

The fire apparatus reportedly rolled down an embankment and crashed into a field. The Firefighter was taken to Community Regional Medical Center. The firefighter's condition was not available.

The Detwiler fire has burned 110 square miles and destroyed 99 structures, 50 of them homes, forcing more than 4,000 people from homes in and around a half-dozen Gold Rush-era communities along the California mountains and foothills west of Yosemite National Park. KTIYP's.

More to follow.

Take Care. Be Careful. Pass it On.
BillyG
The Secret List 7/21/2017-1530 Hours
www.FirerFighterCloseCalls.com

Hold the fort, brother. We are all thinking of you and yours, and hoping for the best.

I cannot imagine why you have not gotten around to sending that check to cover shipping on the rappel rack...
:lol:

Dumb joke :)...your check came in today's mail, Stephen. Now I cannot imagine how you could have taken the time to tend to this insignificant task in the face of everything else.

Anyway, thanks. Hope things progress well.

Gary, yes. He got ejected from the truck when it went off road. These guys are whooped tired. Some 48 hours straight before going back to camp. If this is the worst injury.....welll. we are damn lucky. We had a unit helping a HO to get out and the whole lot got trapped. They headed for the river. Dozer joined up with then to continue the march. This went on for two days. No help could extract due to conditions. They are safe. Lost contact with them for a day. That could have ended horribly.

Burnham, you would be amazed what I can accomplish during a crisis when I am trying to get gas, water, ice, fuel, feed, kids moved, gennys up, trailers packed, weeds whacked and prep for defense attack... :lol:
BBQ chops when I got home received_997117013762249.jpeg
I dropped at the post office before I went back up the hill. Got a dump run in too first thing in the morning. Then they said they were closing town, so I knew the mail would leave too;)
Anyway. Looks like things are going in the right direction for us. Town is open again. But all the other evacs stand TFN. So we still can't leave to resupply. Gonna need feed for critters soon.looks like maybe tomorrow we will be ablessing to get some. I don't like one way trips. I can be pretty convincing in class 2 shirts and a hard hat if needed driving this pretty new whit 4x4 I rented :lol:
Neighbor up the street ran out of water. He had asked if we could ration him some, we were OK with that. Maybe up to 100 gallons get him by for a couple days if he is careful. Cops caught him at his driveway trying to get down to us. So I went and fetched him and his containers and no nonsense came from it.
Anyway. Coulterville, above the river canyon is the biggest concern right now and flair ups. Stuff is still hot and prone to reignite.
Still no power here. Might be in 12 hours :dontknow:
Two highways are still closed. Long ride to go south to get north after going west from the south. Makes a 45 minute trip about 3 hours.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. Sounds like you have things well under control, considering the circumstances. I can only hope I'm able to be as organized and clear thinking when faced with extraordinary circumstances.

I think you would do just fine Brian. You have a good head on those shoulders. You think of thing constantly that just make me ask myself, now why didn't I think of that.
Always feel like you could have planned better in these things. Just stoopid shit like water in the pool. Did not get that water delivery on time because me and the kids were butting heads. Prep cleaning the pool is their responsiblity, since I clean the dirt they track into it all summer and chemicals. But they blew me and Katy off, so there she sits empty. Bloody convenient to swim in with all this going on. Chlorine bath. Just stupid stuff. Two more hay bails or had I made that feed run for 20 sooner. Ya know. Still need to rig up my water donkey with the plumbing and 6hp pump. Doh!
Progress not perfection.

Back