Mariposa Fire....hows Stephen doing??

Ready to try to backburn?

Funny you should mention that... lit the BBQ fire pit with it tonight. It is sitting up hill from the house at the pit on the ready. Just in case we have to back fire the back hill of the property. As are fire tools. ;)
Both houses on property have 3500 gallon water tanks, generators and fire tools. Saws also. Fuel.

They made good progress today but about lost 3 fronts before that. Crews and air resources kept arriving and beat it down some. Air attack lined up I don't know how many bombers and painted the town. Fire was jumping 5 dozer wide fire lines. Spot fires thrown out 1/2 mile plus. Then the air attack joined crews in the river canyon behind us, and pounded that front. That was our biggest threat for when the winds come down slope tonight. Then they ran out of jet fuel at the old military air port everyone was fueling at. No more runs. But they kept going with dozer and crews on two more fronts.
Less smoke tonight. Still No power and may not be any for a week where we are. Probably going to be calm enough to get a supply run in tomorrow, as town power is restored, for now. If they have to shut it down again, well....
Piece of good news also today was they are going to cover my f350 transmission under warranty. THANK YOU JASPER!!!!
Hoping they lift evacuation tomorrow. We have fire crews in our area now, which means better sleep tonight.
BBQ some chops ;)

Numbers are just being released. We are currently at 70,000 acres, 10% containment.
More resources arriving today. Good weather. Cool and calm.
Higher humidity. Wind should change a tad in direction. Hoping for a breeze that will sort of push most the fore back on itself.
It started on southerly. Suppose the change to noreast.

Wind is up again now. Easterly.
They are closing town again. They put the power back on and let some residents resupply gas and water, ice. Then sheriff came running in to one of the package stores and told them to get out and lock it up. They were locking down town. Nothing feeding from scanners. Probably had a flare up and trying not to panic folks. Fire is still about 3-4 klicks behind us and the wind in wrong for it to flank us. Till tonight again.

Town, on the other hand, is below us about 5 klicks as the crow flies. That could be an issue if it jumps the hwy.
Little news article about the point of origin. We did some work on a property right below these folks.
http://www.mercedsunstar.com/news/article162592498.html

Robby and I were thinking of you today, at least I think it's you that is on a Facebook page he goes to??

Anyways good luck man

Just catching up on all this...wow...very nervous time for you Stephen!! Sounds like you have prepared your survival plan well thought out though. Shifting winds and spot fires make it all so unpredictable.
I can only imagine what impact all those dead pines are having, the fuel load must be off the chart.

Thoughts and prayers are with you!!

Holy crap Stephen,hope you are getting along alright. Serious shit them firestorms,alot of helplessness about it...

Hoping the best for you, your family and your community, Stephen, breathe easy.

Back