Mariposa Fire....hows Stephen doing??

What a saga...these campaign fires are something else. We had three here in Tassie two years ago that burned for two months.
They start quick but the sure don't end quick.

There are some Tassie fire-fighters that have just shipped out to Canada to help there, mostly logistics and stuff, no ground pounders.
On one big fire here two years ago they set up tent camps and military style canteens to house all the firies...they shipped over like 20-30 extra tankers from the mainland brigades, there weren't enough spares to manage, 4x4's and heavy tankers, extra helicopters and fixed wing water bombers...it gets pretty intense.

Seems to me that a crown fire will spread no matter if there are beetle killed trees or not

Fi, that is what is basically happening here. Fire was trying to take whole small towns. Huge amounts of resources moved in finally. Mean while, our CA politicians keep cutting fire budgets:X
Here is the dozer line they are cutting for a fire break behind my area and why we are still on evac., several doers wide. That is down in the last area burned. All chemise and manzanita. Hot, fast burning fuel. They are going to try and wrap that up today and repopulate our area.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1500829370313.jpg
    FB_IMG_1500829370313.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 42
Here is the incident sheet from yesterday. We are now at 40% containment. I am just having a hard time capturing the image on my phone.
FB_IMG_1500745975742.jpg FB_IMG_1500745983264.jpg FB_IMG_1500745975742.jpg FB_IMG_1500745983264.jpg

If any of you Wan to see some good FF pictures of the incident, hit my FB page
Stephen Cole

So, evac lifted after mid day. Went and got feed for all the critters. They had a supply station in town. They have an overage from all the rescues going home. Power came right on after we supplied up. So we have full water tanks again. The Sheriffs were taken back that we stayed, wondered why we did not call for feed and water. I just said, hey, you guys were busy and we had enough to get through till today or tomorrow. Why tax what limited resources we had further?
I think they respected that. Picked up the kids and stopped for a bite. Sat with a few fire crews and thanked them for the valiant work.
Still a lot of hot spots. Flare ups. Soooooooo with more winds coming and higher temps, we stand at the ready in case.

Client scheduled for tomorrow mails me after he just got home from evac (literally lives around the hill from us so we both got evac lifted today).
All set to work tomorrow... bla bla bla.... we will start over here and do that over there.
I was reasonably stern and polite in my reply that he could probably get stuffed. I only have the rental truck to move kit anyway. I have to make at least two trips just to get started. Not to mention refrigerators to clean out and every friggin' thing else going on. Call rental company to extend my rental as everything that was to be moved and or worked on, parts ordered, went to hell in a hand bag on evac orders and vacating a town. What a tool. I love collecting his check after a weeks worth of work every month. So I'll be nice, remind him who is in control of the ship. Get some work done maybe starting tues and possibly get Friday off as well.

Glad things are starting to calm down for you Stephen.

Yeah, the Lodgepole Complex is cooking up pretty well. I suppose it is a hundred miles south east of me as the crow files.

I could be right in the middle of it, but I have to stay at home!

Things might get nasty up here. Lots of activity around and no rain.

They have for casted thunderstorms here in cali. Probably high country and north of me. Hope you don't get a lightening start if the moisture goes more north..

Glad to hear things are easing up for you. Yes this is a terrible year up here too, still so early in the season. Still tinder dry everywhere about. Was supposed to be more lightning around today and atleast here we had really high winds. I haven't even checked the news to see how that's affected things.

I hope you get things squared away and start turning some wheels again soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stephen, so glad things have settled down and restrictions lifted.... food, feed and full water tank sounds like a welcome relief ....looks like your getting the horse out of the stable and back in the saddle again...:thumbup:

Your mariposa fire made the news up here even with all of our own fires. But I already had the inside scoop anyways.

Back