Mariposa Fire....hows Stephen doing??

I watched a white hat call in a water drop from a helicopter...they nailed him. I hid behind boulders as the water came down the hill.

I've heard the term...not in my wheelhouse....well the other day a client told me it wasn't "in her wheelwell" :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

She doesn't quite get the reference. Not uncommon among the upper classes, when the reference is from working class situations.
:D

I love it when people get sayings mixed up or wrong.

We have a saying in the U.K. "Put the kibosh" on something, meaning to put a sudden halt to something, a deal or similar.

My wife used to say "put the kite wash"

An old employee once said to me that an someone had "roasted his pigeons"

It took me a couple of minutes to work out that he'd mixed up "pigeons coming home to roost" and "his goose is cooked"

Another one my wife said was "I'm on tender hooks" rather than Tenterhooks.

(That particular argument got a bit heated)

I know it, and I sure didn't learn my English this side of the pond.

Knew that one, too.
Come to think of it, I do read a lot of British litterature, that is most likely where I picked it up.

We were at traffic management class the other day...long story...in among the paperwork is an official amendment to a particular law or statute of something...the funny thing to us was the guy who signed it, his last name was HOEY (hoo-eee)

We thought it was funny, a law being signed by a guy named Hoey (read 'what a load of hoey') but it fell completely splat flat with the Australians!

I knew a guy named Hoey once. Richard Hoey, little guy ex San Francisco cop and crane style wu shu master that carried a gun.

All those phrases or sayings are common enough here that I'm familiar with, and use, them all.

But like Stig, I may be a bit above average on the "well spoken" scale :D.

Back