Mesh Goggles? Helmet Visors?

My truck currently has four pairs of eye protection inside, so easy to chose one that fits the mood of the day. Being overly stylish isn't so good sometimes. 8)

About editing posts, I'm going to change "stupid" to unwise.

Full face screen visor is cool for sure but why bother if you have shades? They are nice when reaming out a face some, those little BBs sting on the face.
:thumbup: It's not so cool in hundred degree heat though. Pretty nice trimming sabal palms though with all the junk that gets airborne.

This won't be for everyone but it's what I found that works well for me.
http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sungl.../W0OO9060/?skuCode=11-161&categoryCode=m01015

I found that anything with a wrap around frame would hold saw dust and when I looked up it dumped into my eyes. And since wearing any kind of glasses when sweating is a pain because you have to continually wipe the sweat off of them... these sweatbands are awesome. Periodically you can take it off and squeeze it out and you're good to go for awhile.
https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Sweat-Bands-25-Pack/dp/B006JFMSNC

A recent safety glass purchase the way the frame sat against my forehead started to bother me. I split some fuel line in half and it sits over the frame and provides a little cushion. It stays there when wearing or not, a big improvement.

Just a freak accident, Cory. I was taking a dead top off a monster Euc and clearing my line before the cut. Long rope and heavy; as the tail weight gained momentum, I let it run. It was below me and I thought far enough away. The whip crack as it came around caught me square on the left eye. It was a big hit and sent the left side of my body into convulsions for a few seconds.

Lots of pain and 10 days in the hospital. I lost 30 pounds and most of the vision in that eye. A simple pair of safety glasses would have saved the day.

Gnarly! Saw a very similar thing almost happen to Law (ATeam vid)

aug

Oh... on topic, okay. Just one more thing though. I hate the way ear muffs on helmet systems mash the safety glasses stems into the side of my head.. . Thus it's mesh visor for me. So yes, to be OT, if you ever see this Rico, you should use some armor.

aug

(This is parenthetical...so "hidden off topic"....the mesh goggles I showed are ANSI safety for Z87 -- and the straps are not noticeable...do not irritate like stems under muffs. That bugs me, too.

Fine dust can get thru but no chips. Meets ANSI Z87.1 for basic impact (1” ball-drop) protection..and they DON'T fog...big deal for glasses. Only $10.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=15234
)

In bright sunlight sometimes I'd really like to use glasses instead of the screen mesh glasses and goggles but in this humidity it's an exercise in futility. I was thinking about a defogger like we use in our dive masks. Does anyone use such a thing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if they could make screen face shields that would pass the ansi Z87

If I understand correctly, a face shield is acceptable over glasses by Oregon OSHA which trumps ANSI

I would have thought a face shield isn't impact resistant enough compared to safety glasses, but that's good if it is real protection.

Nah, I said Monday. Monday it is.

I wore a face screen forever and liked it but didn't think it had much actual protective ability so I went to a petzl vizir (sp) but that got dirty and uncleanable (pitch etc) fast so now I'm still looking.

I always wore a face shield and glasses. Sun always shines when I'm around. :D

A screen saved my ass from meeting up with some nasty sharp ass chain teeth once. One of the worst kickbacks and sobering lucky moments I've ever had. Screwed up. Saw kicked right for my face for whatever bad position or cutting I was doing at the time, the inertia brake triggered and the bar/chain hit my screen/hardhat. I still have the screen hanging in my shop. Put holes in the screen at each tooth and took a chunk out of the brim of my hardhat. I don't know how much the screen really saved me compared to the hat and the brake, but I came away without a scratch. Lucky.

I use a mesh visor on my Kask and wear safety glasses. Glasses are much better eye protection in a broad-spectrum sense. The mesh visor is only used to deflect the heavy stuff and works great for that.

For those of you that are having problems with fogging, keep trying different style glasses. The fit has a huge influence on whether or not fogging is persistent or transient.

I wonder what ever happened to RiverRat?

Attachments

• riverratt.JPG
    riverratt.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 36
  • riverratt 2.JPG
    riverratt 2.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 36
I use a mesh visor on my Kask and wear safety glasses. Glasses are much better eye protection in a broad-spectrum sense. The mesh visor is only used to deflect the heavy stuff and works great for that.

For those of you that are having problems with fogging, keep trying different style glasses. The fit has a huge influence on whether or not fogging is persistent or transient.

I agree. I could only wear certain styles of safety glasses that 'vented' well. Some just wouldn't work.

I found a good pair of mesh glasses at the home center. I've had the goggle with strap kind for years, but the ones I found are just slip on like a pair of regular shades. Very light comfortable to use.

Back