Mesh Goggles? Helmet Visors?

I wonder what ever happened to RiverRat?

Back in the day he used to call me once in a while. I may be wrong but I seem to remember working at the city during that time, which would make it over 20 years ago. That can't be right!

Anyway, after a while his calls started getting a bit bizarre and then he quit calling.

I've been using those buffs that Treestuff sends for free as a headband for years. Not only do they absorb most of my headsweat, but they help a ton with the fogging issue. My favorite glasses were always those Treestuff branded glasses that came in blue, clear, and smoke. I don't know what the hell happened, but they've changed manufacturers or something and the new ones are garbage. My apprentice climber always complains about fog and I think I'll buy a pair of the mesh ones for him to try.

Cory, I found it helpful to have optical quality 3mil polycarbonate lenses. I have some quality racquetball eyewear from 30 years ago and change out the scratched up lenses every couple of years. The regular cheap plastic goggles make me dizzy.

I'm with Dave on wearing safety goggles AND a flip-down mesh shield to block the bigger stuff from hitting my face.

I wonder what ever happened to RiverRat?

Back in the day he used to call me once in a while. I may be wrong but I seem to remember working at the city during that time, which would make it over 20 years ago. That can't be right!

Anyway, after a while his calls started getting a bit bizarre and then he quit calling.

Last time Andy was here they were hanging out together, bizarre seems to cover that situation.

I can't stand eye injuries. It's one of the only things that really panics me. I had a cedar chip, just a tiny one, in my eye for about 24 hours once, and it nearly had me in tears. I went to the hospital to have it looked at but they couldn't find anything. I was waking up with my eye stuck shut. I finally got it out with a Q-Tip running under my eyelid, but man, I'll never forget that. I wear eye protection all the time now.

Usually ANSI rated sunglasses, like Gargoyles and such, but I also dig the mesh glasses. They work wonderfully, like Gary said, bit of dust might get through, but nothing that causes problems. I can't remember where I read it, perhaps here, that your body doesn't really know your eyes are there, and once it recognizes them through injury, it can attack them like a foreign substance. . . I don't know if that's how it works or not, but it sounds scary.

Protect the eyeballs!

Cory, the visors are replaceable. I bet if you make a concerted effort not to scratch it in the truck, and get some good cleaner, it will work better. How many pair of glasses does a guy go through in a year? I let mine go a long time, before replacement. I didn't always protect the visor, in transit. I'm thinking a milk crate and t-shirt will help me.

The cheap Treestuff and Stihl ($2-3) have very flat sides, which sit up better than others to the head, under muffs, and their cheap as anything.

Had a guy working for me that got a chip under his eyelid as Sam describes, couldn't get it out I took him to the emergency room and they laid him down and raised up his head and got a plastic bottle filled with water that had one of those bent pointed spouts on it. I see them being sold at the home center. They shot water under his eyelid and washed it right out. It might be something useful to have around for the occasion.

That was like thirty years ago and also memorable because i was aghast that they charged a hundred bucks to do that. I told a lady friend that was on that hospital's administration board about the cost and she was aghast too, said she was going to look into it. Never heard anything though.

I love my cheap mesh goggles, I feel like wearing them when I go out in public. I bet people would wonder.

Back