Wedging over small 20 ft Redwood log

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b2GEmDjRTqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First video...wedging over 20 foot top...and 3rd...grapple/skidder, whatever that eqpt is looked very good. Throwing the 80 foot top the lighting got funky as I'm sure you see. Good sound on the top hitting the ground though.

Really liked the first once...the floating stuff looked ethereal. Good quality vid.

Good stuff.
Question: That 80' top, what sort of lean did it have in any direction? I mean you used wedges to help it but would you do that on even a mild back leaner, or would you strip a bit of backgrowth off to counteract?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good stuff.
Question: That 80' top, what sort of lean did it have in any direction? I mean you used wedges to help it but would you do that on even a mild back leaner, or would you strip a bit of backgrowth off to counteract?
The Fir did have a small back lean, so I just beat it over. In a mild back-leaner or side-leaner top with long leggy limbs I will often remove them. The amount of leverage they have can be massive. I have been pounding over tops and trees for a long time, so I have a pretty good feel for what I can get away with. If I am not 100% confident that I got it, I put a tag-line on it.

i love the sight and sound of a good skidder.

Don't matter, brother... still the coolest thread on the internet right now, bar none.

Say... uhhhm... with a 140' spar still left over... I gotta ask... Man, how tall was that freakin pig to begin with? I'm guessing 210' or thereablouts. I'm thinkin that you're not too far from Ukiah... but'cha don't have ta answer that second part. Obviously. Non-disclosure's all good. MONSTER second-growth, anyways.

What, is Martin Sorcese a sorcerer when it comes to falling timber?:lol:

Don't matter, brother... still the coolest thread on the internet right now, bar none.

Say... uhhhm... with a 140' spar still left over... I gotta ask... Man, how tall was that freakin pig to begin with? I'm guessing 210' or thereablouts. I'm thinkin that you're not too far from Ukiah... but'cha don't have ta answer that second part. Obviously. Non-disclosure's all good. MONSTER second-growth, anyways.
Thanks man, but guys like August are making some really beautiful vids. Video are new to me, so I am just trying to get my bearings and figure out what works and what doesn't. Hopefully we can do a full video of a nice pumpkin soon! Yeah, the Red was right around 200' give or take. Location undisclosed, off coarse.

Thanks for posting the clips Rico.

I know it's hard with the tall ones but vertical video is a tough one for me. Much prefer the clips in landscape.

Keep up the good work though.

Back