What to do with Nicked Chaps?

rfwoody

Treehouser
They say if your chainsaw chaps get even *slightly* nicked that their protective integrity is compromised and you should throw them away and get new ones.

But it seems a waste to throw out the whole thing, when there is 2 square feet of perfectly good chainsaw protection left on the other leg.

Is there anything good to do with the other, good leg other than just throw out the whole thing?

(a cheap lesson for me... how dangerous chainsaws are and not to walk around with an idling chainsaw with the chain break off... *and* to adjust the idle so the chain doesn't turn any while idling)

And not to touch your leg with the chain even if it's not running. Personally I would duct tape it but saying that I have never worn a pair.

For my own use I've sewn pants/chaps a plenty. But if the kevlar like matting in the pad is trashed, then it's time to replace.

If employees are going to wear them just replace them.

It's more about exhaust damage for me.

Keep wearing them till they look stupid, and/or your dragging more vegatation around than you're chipping.

It's ok to sew the external fabric, to patch it... to duck-tape it if you want, but don't play with the protective layers.

You can put the nicked or worn pants, chaps, gloves, sleeves ... under the chainsaws and the oil/gas cans to soak up the leaks.

About that, I have a pant which begins to become really stupid:D

They say if your chainsaw chaps get even *slightly* nicked that their protective integrity is compromised and you should throw them away and get new ones.
Manufacturer probably says that, but unless the guts are really strung out, I don't know anyone that does it. Stitch 'em, tape 'em, whatever it takes. Glad you had them on Robert.

I've glued on a heavy cordura nylon patch (cut it in a circle to avoid the curly corners :)) when the damage was just a little nick to the outer cover. I advise Shoe Goo for adhesive, as it stays flexible when cured. I have pics somewhere...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks a lot PCTREE, squisher, Mick :), Marc-Anoine, Ray (thanks!), and Altissimus!

Yeah, some of the fibers are pulled out.

It happened a couple of years ago and I've been wearing the new pair mostly exclusively since then.

At first I duct taped them and wore them only when I was using a smaller chainsaw, but the duct tape didn't stick because of the oily fabric.

Dental floss, great idea for heavy duty sewing.

Great idea about sitting chainsaws on them, etc.
.... but I think using them as a reminder on a nail will be more effective use of them, for me.

Thanks!

I have nicked the outer layer with a saw throttling down once but the main thing that does them in for me is jaggers on the skidder cable when logging.

Chaps?

Os63UKo.gif

:lol:

The blocking material will pull from further down the leg so if you cut the trousers up by your pocket, material can be pulled from near your knee. At least that what I was told by someone trying to sell trousers.

Personally, I'd not tape them or anything like that, if you've hit yourself there once, you could do it again and there's less protection there now. Just buy new. Cheaper than another leg.

If you want to sew it, take care to not sew the protective layers with the outer fabric. They have to be free to work properly : the chain catches the fibers, pulls them out and makes a mess around the sprockets / clutch. If the fibers are held tight by a sewing or even filth, salt, oil ... they stay where they are, the chain just cut through and nothing good happens.

Do you use mint or plain?

Mint or plain, waxed or unwaxed. I've probably used them all. It was a staple when logging. Cutting pants are what most wore and sure enough right after youd sprung for a new pair is when you'd snag them up on something. I highly recommend the floss, any name brand will do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone!
Haha, I'm sure I need all the protection I can get! :) ... so maybe I won't take any chances with the nicked ones unless it is *clearly* *only* the outer shell.
Plan to hang them up in a good place for a serious reminder (maybe cut off the good leg to use to set chainsaws on inside my truck, but maybe warning will be more effective to hang up the whole pair).

Get better ergonomics and saw holding. The cut on the left leg is usually from holding the saw 'wrong'. Same with muffler damage.

Never put the bottom of the saw on your left leg. This comes from holding the side of the wrap-handle, usually, rather than changing to the top-grip. If you hold the top of the wrap handle, the side of the wrap-handle will hold the air-intake screen/ starter cover away from your leg, whether holding with both hands across your body (wrap handle on front of left thigh) or holding only by the top handle with the bar pointing backward (side handle on side of left leg).

Found a picture...not much to see, but anyway, this is what I did to effect a repair of the outer cover with no damage to interior kevlar fibers. Shoe Goo and cordura. It's been good for more than a half dozen years...fairly regular use.

Attachments

• Dscn1907.jpg
    Dscn1907.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 40
Back