What to do with Nicked Chaps?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Sean. I have read through your post several times trying to picture it.
How I cut mine was I was limbing and cutting brush off a down white oak with my 029 Farm Boss, and I was walking around with the chain brake off, probably a little fatigued and not focused. Besides this, my chain was turning a little on idle and while I was standing there either looking at something or moving a branch with my right hand, etc... I mindlessly let the bar rest on my (left) leg... with the chain turning on idle... it was 2 years ago and a little foggy in my memory, but apparently the chaps did their job and the idleing chain cut through the outer shell, into the fibers and clogged up the sprocket like it was suppose to.
So it was a lot of stupid things.
*** I can only hope I have learned a good and lasting lesson.

Burnham, that is a very professional looking patch!
What's cordura?
You must wash your chaps regularly?

Cordura is a brand of heavy nylon fabric. Think pack cloth. In fact, there are quite a few Cordura nylon fabric products. Google could enlighten you, if you're interested. An adequate patch need not be of that brand...just something similar in weight to the chaps' original outer cover.

I do wash my chaps from time to time. You should know that once chainsaw resistant products...chaps, pants, arm guards, gloves, etc. get fouled with soil, pitch, and worse of all, oil...they will fail to perform to spec in quickly stopping chainsaw chain movement. That is how they work, if you are not familiar with the functional objective...not to keep the chain from cutting through to your body, but rather to nearly instantly bind the chain, bar guides, and sprocket to restrain chain movement.

Chaps fouled with anything that adds lubricant to the fibers are not going to act as quickly as clean ones. All those contaminants I mentioned above are culprits. Manufacturers make this point very strongly, but very few users appreciate the importance of keeping such items fairly clean.

Also if the chaps have been cut into, pulled out the fiber inside, it's time for new chaps not a patch.
One other thing re-tune your saw so it does not free spin at idle bad ju ju.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks a lot for the detailed response, Burnham.
Yes, flushcut, I hope I've learned my lesson!

FYI... here are pictures... cut chaps now hanging on a nail in shop.

cut_chainsaw_chaps_2_20170719_064047_resized.jpg cut_chainsaw_chaps_20170719_064120_resized.jpg

Back