Habbeger Wire Rope Winches

Altissimus

TreeHouser
A buddy in Italy saw these and texted me. Seems like the better than Lewis option. More like a Tirfor ( w powered drive ) as there is no drum. Have no idea what they cost but look to be good for forwarding logs and brush loads. Anyone ever see or use these beasts of burden ? P.S. Lewis Winch is far from my favorite tool to run all day though it is effective and portable.

Habegger is a Tirfor copy, made on license from the guy who patented Tirfor.

Both are made in Schweiz, there is IMO no difference in Quality.

When I worked in Schweiz we used the Habegger a lot and everybody told me that they were the best winches in the world.
Took some years before I figured that one out.
They are made in the City of Thun, I worked about 15 miles from there.
So of course the locally made winch is the best.

I have a smallish one ( 800 kilo) and have used it a lot over the years.
I also have an original Tirfor 5 ton winch, which I've used for 25 years at least.

So you could say, I have some experience with those winches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice , I have Five Ton Tirfor as well as a Lewis but these had Stihl Powerheads mounted on top ... some were Electric. Seems sweet , all the power of the Tirfor w out the slow mechanical advance ... Convenient like the Lewis w out the spooling issues and thin guage.

Judging by the sound of Crickets , my guess is the powered models are new , expensive , or both.

A five ton Tirfor must be a very heavy sucker, and the wire. What diameter wire on that thing? Aside from the weight of the device negative, five tons is a massive pull!

I've run the five ton through a Crosby for ten numerous times. Cable looks to be 1/2" it's pretty long in meters prob a hundred foot.

Half inch might be the same cable on my 1.8 ton Tirfor. I don't think it's hundred feet. It's always a kind of debate, to carry out the cable first thing when packing up, or wait to the end. I can see a five ton being handy for a special need.

The powered models are new to the market , my buddy works for an Italian Snow Gun Company that had the Winch es demonstrated in German. Stihl is making them special Powerheads.

Back