Help in Estimate of a Bid on Bradford Pear Removal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
FYI... finished job last Thursday... about 6 weeks after beginning it... truck was in shop about 5 out of the 6 weeks... finally got it back last Wednesday with new clutch (didn't know what I had been missing) -- wound up charging $190 because it took so long (although I had "released" the customer several times to find somebody else to do it since I was taking so long). No problem though. It is experience I won't soon forget.

Sean, would you post a picture of your hand truck if you get a chance? Thanks!

Also, your "chainsaw chipping" advice from another thread worked great!... along with using a tarp to rake and collect all the "chipped" up brush into.

I bumped the thread for you, previously, without notice being given, in this thread. I was figuring it would be seen in the New Posts listing of threads.

Seems that Photobucket. com has done away with free sharing, and threads now lack pictures.

I'll see about a picture.

Chainsaw chipping is best done with a tarp in the trailer or bed, and cut up directly. Branches on the tarp on the ground can be cut up easier than cutting on the ground and moving a lot of little pieces.

Cutting back crotches before loading can help. Keep all the bigger wood out until the end. You only want to be 'chainsaw chipping' the smaller brushy branches. Loading slightly neatly, rather than willy-nilly will mean more cross-cutting (good) of branches less cutting with the grain to a degree (slow).

I've used a wooden floor flatbed trailer, with 2' plywood stake sides. This is easy to 'chainsaw chip'. Reach over the back end from the ground and cut a line or two, then climb onto the CUT portion of the branches, and cut the next line of branches you're NOT standing/ kneeling on.

I fit a ton more brush on my friend's smaller grapple truck with weaker metal sides by 'chainsaw chipping'. He doesn't mash it down. On the dedicated grapple truck service, the operator smashes it down against tall, HD steel sides.

They want hundreds of dollars a year.

Had to clean out my website of photobucket-linked pics from the early days. Luckily, I uploaded most directly, over the years.

Sean, what does "bumping the thread" mean? ... but thanks.

"...Reach over the back end from the ground and cut a line or two..." --- so you stack the brush parallel to the tail gate, at right angles to the sides?

What do you (or anyone) think about those high walled, cage looking trailers for tree type work? ... they look to be about 4' tall, about say 10' long, some with cage type sides all around, but I've seen some with solid metal sides, but about 4' tall.

Thanks!

Stack branches the long way, lengthwise down the trailer bed.

You need a way to power unload it, one way or another. A dump button, or gas pedal.

I like a wooden- sided stake pocket trailer. Sides come off. I can roll things over sideways as well as of the back. Cuts down significantly on unloading effort.

Manually unloading it's not a way to routinely work efficiently.

Robert, did you see the Labor Saving Tools and Techniques thread with the hand truck?

Willie/ SOTC built a 4 caster brush/ wood cart. Basically looks like its narrow enough for a gate possibly, and longer in length. Probably 2 swivel casters.

I'd suggest you roll as much as you can, if doing it manually.

Sean, what does "bumping the thread" mean? ... but thanks.

"...Reach over the back end from the ground and cut a line or two..." --- so you stack the brush parallel to the tail gate, at right angles to the sides?

What do you (or anyone) think about those high walled, cage looking trailers for tree type work? ... they look to be about 4' tall, about say 10' long, some with cage type sides all around, but I've seen some with solid metal sides, but about 4' tall.

Thanks!

We used a trailer like that for awhile, worked great, found it was best to wrap the pull out rope end to end. Now we use a truck with a brush box on the back, same idea.

Robert, did you see the Labor Saving Tools and Techniques thread with the hand truck?

Willie/ SOTC built a 4 caster brush/ wood cart. Basically looks like its narrow enough for a gate possibly, and longer in length. Probably 2 swivel casters.

I'd suggest you roll as much as you can, if doing it manually.

Thanks Sean. Will check it out!

Thanks, Levi.

Back