Forgot my throwline kit...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I wasn't going to drive 65km home to go get it!! Nice branchy tree so it was ok once I got into it.
Shoulder held up VERY well thanks :) I had some difficult moves to get around the edge of the canopy, I was endweight reducing and thinning right out at the edge, going across from branch to branch required some hanging on and pulling hard with my left arm...muscles were sore at the end of the day but the joint was fine. Lots of Arnica cream after a hot shower and a potion of comfrey and other herbs made up by a lady I know...doesn't hurt, seems to help...at least rubbing it in is a mini massage. Same for the hands...knuckles can be a bit stiff and sore at the end of the day now.

Glad thee shoulder is holding up.

I pruned a turkey oak last week and was cutting back over a house. I decided to poece it out by hand instead of a rope as there was only one Groundy. Last bit over a Japanese maple and a bit got fought on some dead. As I was trying to wrestle it out and chuck into the drop zone my right shoulder pinged a bit. Really sore the next day so foolishly I went Thai boxing thinking a little movement would help it. Next day it was in bits. Booked a brutal session with a sports therapist who initially thought I had torn my rotator cuff... turned out it was a pinched nerve. Really painful after the treatment and plenty of ice and a bit of rest. First day back today and it felt strong as ever on a lime dismantle.

I didn't use my throwline, but I do have a couple in the truck and find them useful for all sorts. Fishing for hangers can be fun but also incredibly frustrating. ;)

Whew!! Glad it was only a pinched nerve! You'll know if its anything worse, certain moves would be very painful or almost impossible...
Turkey oak, Quercus cerris...trained in them on England, considered a pest (they harbour a gall wasp that infests Q. robur acorns rendering them sterile), and in Tassie they are an ornamental, grow a bit faster than Q robur.

Fiona, I had all the symptoms of rotator cuff tear. I tore my right shoulder about 8 years ago and have been having trouble with my left for 4 years now.

I'm glad it was just a pinched nerve.

My introduction at using a throw-line was in June of 1969 when I hired on with the Sohner Tree Service in Sonoma County. Today I consider it one of the most valuable tools in this industry for rope access and rigging in trees.

Your story is so familar, Fi, and it's good news to hear you're on the mend. Bless!

Thanks Gerry and good outcome for you too Rich!
Who remembers hanking a short section of your climb line, throw it over a branch, tie in, air hump, lanyard, disconnect, re-throw, tie in, air hump, lanyard repeat, repeat...
For me that used to be quicker than trying to throw a bag...then I discovered the Big Shot and my world changed :)

Who remembers a guy names Tree Machine (was on AS years ago)...he wrecked his leg with a stump grinder...he sent me his old Big Shot head and life was bright once more. Anyone ever hear how he got on? He was on the mend, posting on AS, then I lost track of him, shame when that happens.

Fi, Jim came through my area back during that time. He even spent a day working with me and I took him to see a few local spots. After he quit posting I got an email from him saying that his wife was jealous of his online friends so he was giving up the computer time. I never heard anything else but I suspect that didn't work out so well. Maybe he's still married and miserable, maybe not.

Well its good to hear he got back to being ambulatory...that accident was NASTY!
Fair enough on the online friends/wife (or hubby) thing, it can be a fine line for the other half if not managed with tact.

When I unload my kit and look at all the bits that either were given to me or I bought from forum friends, it brings them to mind and I wonder how they are if they are not on-line now.

They were gross...enough said!
Thanks for the further info Gerry...might try to drop him a line.

In the tall trees, with a throwline, you can traverse the canopy of the forest.

I have a yellow grapnel which I became very frustrated with probably the first time I used it. Now it sits in my garage just looking pretty. Haha! On Amazon they have some decent grappling hooks that look pretty handy. Of course if you have enough rope you can just send your climb line or second climbing line to the ground guy and have him tie it back to your main climb line.

Back