Forgot my throwline kit...

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
So we headed off for a job about 65kms away, thought I had loaded everything we needed.
We got there, parked, set up and 'oh S*&T...where's the throwline bucket?? I had the bigshot pole, but no head, no lines, no bags.

Here comes 'old school'...set the first line from a ladder with the polesaw, hike up, and then changeover all the way to the top, lanyard and main line. (not too far thankfully, about 40-50')
At first I was like 'oh no' it's going to take forever and 'what am I going to do!' Then after a bit of a think, it was 'well, do it like I used to BEFORE the days of throwbags and bigshots.'
In fact with this tree which was a big branchy blackwood, I reckon I got a better final TIP by climbing all the way up there than I would have with the bigshot. It's my second time in that tree and the first time I did have a hard time firing up through all the branches, so actually when all was said and done 'old school' was actually more effective on the day!

I don't have a throw line, watching August's latest vid (the German one) doesn't fill me with confidence about them.

I know the rest of the world use them, and they're probably right.

I hate it when you try to make sure you have everything onboard but still overlook something, its almost as though the extra effort helps you forget the small items...

Mick thats interesting you don't use throw lines.

I tried them for a bit, but kept getting them stuck and after a bit went to get the ladder.

Wearing spikes for everything helps I guess.

Been a few occasions recently when I wish I'd kept one, big ivy covered poplars etc. Next time I'm shopping I'll pick one up.

I will usually take the chip truck to jobs even if we aren't chipping just so we don't forget anything:/:

Our throw line is one of the most important tools we have. How do you set a line to pull a tree over Mick?

Another one here for bringing the truck no matter the job. Every time I've ever had to grab a few items and go to a job in my pickup, I always forget something.

Now that I have two trucks I'm constantly running into the "It's on the other truck" scenario. Sure is expensive buying all the various tools to outfit a second truck as completely as the first.

I will usually take the chip truck to jobs even if we aren't chipping just so we don't forget anything:/:

Our throw line is one of the most important tools we have. How do you set a line to pull a tree over Mick?

Spikes and ladder normally.

Having the tractor with a pto powered winch (if/when it's on the job) means I don't have to go very high.

Spikes and ladder normally.

Having the tractor with a pto powered winch (if/when it's on the job) means I don't have to go very high.

pretty short trees over there, must be. otherwise that sounds brutal.

I never had them for years and now I know what you're talking about. I feel lost with out my throwline. Even doing mostly removals it saves so much time ascending to establish tie in and rigging points.

I'm like Stephen...a folding cube with two bags and a New Tribe grapple, a small bucket with two bags, a second of the same but only a single bag, a small stuff sack with one bag, a fly reel with one bag, and three or four additional bags of various weights to switch out as needed.

I can throw, I can launch with BigShot, and I have a modified wrist rocket that is magic in certain situations.

No throw bags/lines?? I cannot compute that :).

Though I applaud Fi for soldiering on without. Any worthy treeman/woman understands that!

When I can put 12 oz of bag plus string up a tree, rather than a person, I figure its a win. Saves me from getting climbing gear out, at times.

I forget my Bigshot at the house before and it was definitely not the day I needed that to happen. I had 2 very large Loblolly pines to remove. First tree was 36" at the base with vines and hanging over power lines. Tree was surrounded by other trees to be saved. Late start at 10:30 and by noon it was nearly 100 degrees. Finally got it all on the ground by 2:00. Had a snack for lunch, picked up climbing gear thinking thank God I can just shoot a line in this one to drop it only to look in the bed of my truck and realize it's 45 minutes away. I didn't have the Bigshot or even throwline! Tree was covered from top to bottom in Poison Ivy :ONeedless to say I don't leave home without new throwline and an extra Bigshot head in the truck. I keep a brand new 180' spool of Zing It and throw bag in my climbing bag as back up as well. One in the tool box and two spools with the Bigshot in the bed of my truck. :D

I just like having one set up, weights and line in a cube behind the seat that never gets unloaded. Rescued a hula hoop one time at a kids birthday party that got stuck in a cedar. Boys will be boys, but not to the birthday girls liking. So I fished it out with a couple throws. Ya just never know when you are going to need it. Sometimes a quick throw will keep a line in the tree or next tree for morning. I have a line in a pine right now that will stay there for a month. I lined all the limbs off up to 100 feet. I'll go back on it next month when we have bigger equipment on sight and cut in half after a WRAPTOR ride. Then we can yard it from over a creek. Both sections will cross the creek and the top will land in a field I can put the chipper right next to it. WRAPTOR will pull me and the large saw to the cutting point after we pull a line in for the ascent.

Back