180 Foot Tall by 48" DBH Ponderosa Dismantle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool story. A mentor/teacher like Jake, is a blessing. Very cool.
All my mentors are in here. Digitally. And have the patience of a saint. ;)

Just got back from feeding critters, watering my veggie patch, and enjoying a beautiful summer morning in this paradise I call home! I was thinking about Jake and wanted to share a little. He was one who chose skill and senses over PPE. Sure he threw on his brain bucket when somebody important was around, but mostly he went commando! He taught me to hear and feel my hinge. To hear and see that dead top or widow-maker coming to get you. To feel that 7/8' manilla flipline as you were spurring up a 7 footer. To hear and feel your wedges as you were beating over a back-leaner. I just don't understand how you guys can truly hear, see, or feel with all that gear on. He also had an ability to tap into, and get his nervous system firing on all cylinders when it was go time. You could literally watch him get locked and loaded! I would like to think I picked up on some of it. I grew up in the woods and the logging lifestyle. The woods are my church, and working in them has a spiritual element to me. I don't want to get to deep on you, but I hope some of you can get a better understanding of where I'm coming from.

Yes I have worked for myself for decades. When I worked with Jake we both worked for a very large outfit. Mind you it was southeast Alaska in the late 70's and mid 80's, so it was high production balls to the walls logging. We were literally in the middle of nowhere, so there wasn't much in the way of safety police around.

Just got back from feeding critters, watering my veggie patch, and enjoying a beautiful summer morning in this paradise I call home! I was thinking about Jake and wanted to share a little. He was one who chose skill and senses over PPE. Sure he threw on his brain bucket when somebody important was around, but mostly he went commando! He taught me to hear and feel my hinge. To hear and see that dead top or widow-maker coming to get you. To feel that 7/8' manilla flipline as you were spurring up a 7 footer. To hear and feel your wedges as you were beating over a back-leaner. I just don't understand how you guys can truly hear, see, or feel with all that gear on. He also had an ability to tap into, and get his nervous system firing on all cylinders when it was go time. You could literally watch him get locked and loaded! I would like to think I picked up on some of it. I grew up in the woods and the logging lifestyle. The woods are my church, and working in them has a spiritual element to me. I don't want to get to deep on you, but I hope some of you can get a better understanding of where I'm coming from.

Rico, if you don't want us to bang on about ppe (which is fine and dandy) you might want to not make an issue of it yourself.

Great avatar btw.

Rico, if you don't want us to bang on about ppe (which is fine and dandy) you might want to not make an issue of it yourself.

Great avatar btw.

Come on man! I write a post like that, and thats what you got to say. Some here continue to question my methods after asking them to let it go. I was hoping the give them a little more insight as to why I feel the way I do. I didn't take long after posting my first work picture that I started to hear it. I'm been trying to be cool about it, but I really don't want the hear anymore. Plain and simple!

But you're the one who keeps mentioning it ffs. We have let it go, you keep making an issue of it.

Show some goddam pictures of your work (which are great, seriously) keep your inner feelings for Oprah.

Well said, Mick.

No reason to bow out, Rico.
Mick is right, if you don't want it to be an issue, don't bring it up.
Just let it lie.

I agree that hearing, seeing, and feeling are part of falling trees, particularly back leaners. I usually flip up my visor/ face screen and muffs, pulling my far-ear ear plug when beating trees over hard. Glasses stay. My ears are ringing loud right now. I don't need more. You won't hear a big branch rustling through clean air like a javelin with ear plugs in.

Rico. One of the cool things about The Treehouse is you don't have to leave something alone or agree or disagree along any set lines. We are all free to disagree with each other as much as we'd like. Butch(Masterblaster) is the host and only mod here. If he says enoughs enough, then it is.

Hell all of us long term members have at one time or another been in large disagreements. Keeps it interesting. And Mick and Stig can attest to that I think in regards to myself. :D

Kick back brother, share what you want.

Rico. One of the cool things about The Treehouse is you don't have to leave something alone or agree or disagree along any set lines. We are all free to disagree with each other as much as we'd like. Butch(Masterblaster) is the host and only mod here. If he says enoughs enough, then it is.

Hell all of us long term members have at one time or another been in large disagreements. Keeps it interesting. And Mick and Stig can attest to that I think in regards to myself. :D

Kick back brother, share what you want.

Yep, thats how we roll here!!...take no offence Rico, lot of thick skinners here.... this is the best ARB site in town brother!!..keep posting ;)

I recently went for some deep face-cut/ back cut action. I'm with Stig, I'm going back to magic cutting. Not a risk of chain grabbing by an error of cutting through the far side of a thin hinge.

When I first viewed the video I noticed some issues I thought worth mentioning. I figured I would start with the undercut/backcut issues first, then move on to the other issues later. Maybe some around here could learn a thing or two? It wasn't long before some of the "experts" around here were making justifications for subpar cutting. A few continued with their witty comments about my lack of PPE (stig, murphy4trees). I then tried to give a little backstory as to why I do what I do. Its old-school wisdom that has keep me healthy and pretty for decades! The shit works. Deaf ears for the most part. Instead I was told to shut the frig up, but keep posting pics (been a long time since I let a grown man speak to me like that). I'm gonna honor Mick's request, and do just that!

Back