180 Foot Tall by 48" DBH Ponderosa Dismantle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I suspect Stephen was paying attention when he was reading Jerry's books and remembered the part about how to make a log land flat. Very impressive, Stephen.

Yes, why yes I have ;)
You have given me a lot to work with too my friend. You always have that great in sight with the shoot from the hip truth. Thanks for that.

Nice high cutting and log splash... you could edit out most of that back cutting though....

that first cut was particuarly impressive to an east coaster.. you know you're up there when a log that tall lands flat....

Here ya go Danny.. A quieter short back cut just for you. Topped at 180 feet. Same grove.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vfKZxWwURXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hang in there Stephen. Seems you've almost weathered the storm. And quite a storm it's been.

Crazy big work you've been pounding out for quite awhile now.

Getting more prunes finally. I pretty much stopped taking the larger jobs with some customer loyalty and exception. Feels better than logistics nightmares.

Thanks for the kudos guys.

Not many stills on this visit to this job. Mike got a pretty good one. Mooned me... :lol:
And I took one of the stem in the lay.

Attachments

• 20170630_084010.jpg
    20170630_084010.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 1EEFA8A6-.jpg
    1EEFA8A6-.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 81
Well Chit. The first video of the zip lining failed to embed right. Sorry guys. I went back and fixed it. But I'll post it again so people that have read this thread don't have to go back. My bad.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HtBFskLczrk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Extremely. Makes the commute to the top much easier on the ol bod.
And I can take a lot of kit up with me with out being taxed by the weight.

That 3 strand i was using for a hoist line for gear, was a 300 foot hank, and both ends were not touching the ground because of the lean, when I had to have gear pulled up. And I topped it well above that point

Don't worry about that, our superior intelligence can solve this baby jigsaw puzzle.
But I don't understand how one camera registered the cut's top with a chainsaw and the second camera registered the cut's top with a handsaw. How do you do that?

:D

Well done, it's a great job, well over my game, like many of the vids I see here.

First, let me say that is a cool video! I know I'm gonna get it for saying this, but here goes. I'm seeing some pretty rough undercuts and a whole bunch of hinge wood being completely cut off. I catch grief around here for not wearing safety gear, but that shit scares me! No PPE in the world is gonna help when some big wood gets you. I was taught pretty much since birth "Don't ever cut your hinge, son" Words to live by. Nuff said. Again I apologize, but I am truly looking out for you.

! No PPE in the world is gonna help when some big wood gets you.

That's a rational like saying that the cops should only go after serial mass murderers, let the individual homicides all get thrown in and sit without effort in the unsolved cold cases bin.

Cool vid, Stephen, liked the selfie too.

My rational is pretty simple. Skill is your very first line of defense when it comes to safety. If your making bad cuts in big wood, eventually something bad is going to happen. If a climber gets hit, chainsaw pants, hardhats, shinny shirts, or goggles aren't going to do much good. I've seen it with my own eyes. I am not here to argue with anyone. Just telling it like I see it.

Heard and acknowledged. Normally, I make some pretty nice cuts. I was hot and fatigued and pretty much tipping to the lean of the stick. It might have been the lean that played into the cuts. Like I was not levelling my back cut well. Like I said, not normally that sloppy. Some folks here will attest to that.

On another note, there are occasions, when working a leaner like that where the fibers are really holding on, I will cut the hinge almost clean through once the piece has committed. That lessens the force pushing and throwing the tree about when it lets go easier. A leaner, as you know, holds a great deal of tension in the wood. Spring loaded in a way. No need to get paddle boarded...

Cool. Those leaners can be a bitch. It was not my intention to insult you. You clearly know what your doing! About 20 years ago I caught myself getting lazy with my cutting, so a made a commitment to make every cut as if my life depended on it. Been doing it ever since.

Back