Employee recruiting/ interviewing ideas, management, etc

SeanKroll

Treehouser
Looking for your collective insight into employees.

From where you find applicants, to your filtering process, initial interviewing and field-day practical skills/ working interview, to keeping them motivated and content while doing their job...

SeanKroll, I don't have any ideas or help for you but I have a question if you don't mind (which I was thinking of trying to start a thread).

Have you every heard of a 63 year old newbie groundy?

I'm thinking of taking some of the advice I have heard for guys wanting to get into tree work -- i.e. get a job with an existing tree company.

I know I have the heart for it and a hard worker... but I don't have the energy and stamina I used to.

So is a 63 year old newbie groundy out of the question to hire?

How much might one such newbie ground expect to be paid?

Thanks!

Starting groundy = slave.

You must decide if that's a position you really want.

Expect to be paid relatively poorly in relation to the exertion the position will demand.

Again, word. $12 per hour is the going rate for fresh slaves in these parts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I pay new guys $14-15, plus good safety and technical training.

I'm 44 and can out-work most new groundies in their twenties double/ triple over for production per energy input. I'm too old for ground work. I'll pay for doing too much groundwork, regardless of efficiency. Climbing doesn't have me reaching for anti-inflammatories, mostly.

I have been wearing two OTC forearm braces for relief and prevention of Arborist's elbow.

Take up recreational climbing, low and slow.
Prune Japanese maples, small ornamentals, and shrubs. Do the technical work, let someone else clean up.

If you were fully mechanized, you'd better in a different boat. You need a loader and dump trailer/ grapple truck.

Trailers and chipping will beat you down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again, word. $12 per hour is the going rate for fresh slaves in these parts.

what's minimum wage in Colorado?

Washington State:
2017 minimum wage is $11.
2018 employers will be required to provide one hour of sick leave per 40 hours worked.

Thanks a lot guys for ALL the info and advice!!!
... soaking it ALL in for pondering and motivation and direction.

Weird, I know, but I enjoy physical activity (to a point). :)
I was blessed with decent paying (for me) desk type jobs for last 25 years or so, and unable to get all the exercise I wanted/needed.
But now I've got to make some money... not a whole lot, but some.
So the physical activity (to a point) for me is desirable and good for my health in my aging years. (as long as I can avoid injury).
But also looking for something to engage my mind in.... and learn about.... and get good at.

Thanks again ALL!!!

.... and Sean...

.....to your original post/questions... just speaking in general about employee motivation...
For me personally one thing that gave me contentment and satisfaction in my jobs has been when there was a *clear path* before me for advancement (of some kind) *and* that my management was interested in me and my advancement and provided guidance (and training), *feedback*, etc. --- of course this only/mainly works for someone who is internally motivated in that direction.

=> What is "Arborist's elbow"?

P.S.

haha, I *never* felt 10' tall and bulletproof when it came to anything physically dangerous! (yeah, what am I trying to prove wanting to take this up at 63....)
I have tended to *always* eye physical danger with caution.

Thanks Sean.

... actually I did used to feel 10' tall and bulletproof in earlier years when it came to physical work and endurance... but now I try to take it carefully and be aware of injuries like sprains, back, tripping, etc.

Back