Why aren't POWs Aluminum?

SeanKroll

Treehouser
Since aluminum dissipates heat better than steel, and you can build them as strong as needed, why doesn't anybody make them?

Port o wrap...a friction device for managing wood lowering, Jim.

Sean, I don't think aluminum can take the friction/abrasion...even the harder alloys. And cost might be a factor, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems like rope glazing on expensive bull-ropes would balance out increased expenses on hardware, but for some reason people don't make them.

Seems like a larger drum with less room for wraps on a shorter barrel might work better for bend radius, at least.

Certainly a successful design, just wondering about building a better mouse trap.

I don't have much faith in aluminum for strength or wear but I haven't had any experience with the more exotic grades.

As said the bollard on my GRCS is aluminum. I haven't noticed any wear as of yet and I've had it for about 9 years. I have also been using the Safebloc for about 4 months. I've been using 1/2 rope with it. Only used 3/4 a few times. There us noticeable wear in several places where the 1/2 rope is slowly wearing through. It's not bad yet but I don't see getting more than a year out of it. A 3/4 would wear longer but I don't use 3/4 as much as I used to. Maybe an aluminum POW wouldn't hold up as well. I would think it would though.

Dirty rope would grind up an aluminum porty pretty quick. There was a picture of a mangled one floating around not too long ago. . . Channeled right through the pipe. They also melted a lot of rope from what I hear, which makes sense since it absorbs the heat faster than a steel one would.

I bought an aluminum POW at a TCI show, the big one, 3 inch tubing, and it was anodized. Used it for some time, years in fact, and the anodize never even wore off. There was no appreciable wear showing on the device after 4-5 years of service.

Mind you, I was using it to lower the limbs of fir, redwood and pine, mostly. Not bombing chunks of trunk wood. After my accident I gave the device to a friend, and I believe it's still in use today.

Btw, my steel POW is starting to get some decent grooves in it, I suppose any good welder could beef it up , eh?

I bought an aluminum....the big one, 3 inch tubing, and it was anodized. Used it for some time, years in fact, and the anodize never even wore off.....

I have the same one, Gerry, and have had the same results. Good question, Sean, there really is no reason that an aluminum POW should not still be available.

Btw, my steel POW is starting to get some decent grooves in it, I suppose any good welder could beef it up , eh?

A good welder could easier build you a new one, or just pick on up on TreeBay.

A good welder could easier build you a new one, or just pick on up on TreeBay.

Easier to build a new one? Maybe, idk. I would think building it up would be a short process.

By treebay you must mean eBay, or is there a treebay?

Gee whiz, Cory, just buy a new one.

Perish the thought! This one is ancient.

Re the OP, as others have said, I don't see why not. If antal rings take the beatings they do with no issues, why not a POW

Treebuzz has a lot of gear for sale on Treebay.

BTW, there is a GRCS for sale. I just bought one on TreeBay.

True a good welder could even spray weld on some hard facing metal but it might cost as much if not more than a new one.

Back