Stihl 090AV?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought it looked weird like the handle hinge is too high up to easily work a brake. What would a spring handle do? Push your hand back a little? How does that save your arm or face from a spinning chain?

The spring guard is basically for your hand is what it seems. Some older Zenoahs have that too. Better than nothing, I guess. No connection to the engine like a proper brake.

My old 090, which I bought from Bill Bailey in Laytonville in 1978, Willie Ginn (SOTC) has today, and it is Sthil running. I used that saw up until 2007 to cut the biggest stumps, buck the biggest trees and fall some of the largest outlaw's in Mendocino County.

That saw, and the bar and chain it pulled, whooped my ass enough times, over and over, that I swore I would never run it again, but there was always a calling that would bring it back to life and it would whoop my ass all over again. It was truly a love hate relationship with that mechanical demon. Oh, Lord, the episodes in the life of that saw one could surely write a worthy book about. Especially after Carl, aka Lumber Jack, bought it, which was the beginning of a whole new story in the life of that old saw all in itself.

Amen.

My 090 gear drive I hardly ever use. It's ungodly heavy. I bring to out sometimes to blow people's minds on how an old saw can be. Its really a beautiful thing, and with the tiny can for a muffler and the sound it puts out. Then it goes back under some plastic sheet beneath my work bench. With the decomp pushed in and pulling the handle, the whoosh sounds like something that might be from some valve on a submarine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember when I first got my 2188, it about kicked my butt cutting a 34" oak down. It would grab the uncut wood, then the chips on the other side of the bar and cycle between them throwing me back and forth.

You glom only a large displacement saw you had better eat your wheaties and keep the dawg hooked or it will try to pull you and the saw over a log .Only thing good to say about them is once it's set the weight helps you .
I'd have never made it as west coaster .A 3 1/2 foot oak tree is enough for me.I can't imagine an 8 foot Douglas fir or a 10 foot coast redwood . Damn!

I might add Larry Steiner who lives near Medina Ohio ,an avid collector .He must have 1500 saws and works as a mechanic at a Stihl dealers .He has the last 090 to ever be sold from Canada,bought it off of John Lambert AKA Gypo .That saw as far as I know has never had gas in the tank .He also had an 090 reworked by Ken Dunn with a 10 pin sprocket which I ran .Fastest 090 I ever had my hot little hands on .

He has the last 090 to ever be sold from Canada,bought it off of John Lambert AKA Gypo .That saw as far as I know has never had gas in the tank .

That makes me wonder if i have the only west coast 090 that has never had gas in the tank

Back