Stihl 090AV?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha, it's about time I get a good find, even if I have to pay for it. Hopefully it turns out good and all...and mine

I try not to be worldly and attached to things, as I see it, it was meant to be used, so don't just look at it, use it. But with the possibility of having a new one, I'd almost feel bad to get it dirty. I might want to trade for a new 880, but who knows, I don't even have it yet. What could the serial number tell me?

They are indeed powerful old saws .That being said that model as well as other large displacement saws get very little use after the novelty of operating one wears off .One reason they last so long,they spend most of their time on a shelf rather than in the wood .
In my possession I have five saws over 100 cc .Three McCullochs,the Homelite in the avatar and a Stihl 084 .None get much use .After operating one for a day with a long bar you will gain a great respect for the men on the west coast who did this daily .

I haven't looked at it yet, but do these more recent ones have more plastic than the others or are they still mostly metal everywhere (tanks, handle, top cover, starter...)

Weight is another reason I might go with a newer model. I hope this is a good enough deal to justify a heavy saw that wouldn't get used much because it is really helpful to have more power when needed. I wouldn't expect to need to use it more in one day than what I have stamina for, but I've never felt one before, so I might be tired after starting one. Also the oiler on my 2188 has a hard time keeping up on a 42" bar, and not even a 395 has a faster oil pump according to the manual.

Dagum! Its as big as a dog.

Looks like an extra wide bar, I wish more bars were extra wide... but extra light weight too. I wonder how it would run with the exhaust deflector removed

Serial number, when checked with Stihl, would tell you if it was produced as an AV or is a put together saw.

Extra wide bars have a stiffer body that doesn't bow as much when flipped over on its side for felling cuts.

Well, Finally. WE have an answer...kind of. I got a reply. The whole point of posting this thread was to get your guy's opinion on authenticity. Something didn't look right, mainly the design, but I found pictures of real ones like it, so the only suspicion left was in the description.

So, this is either a scam, or the Chinese are at it again and now copying the 090AV.

Either way I'm glad I now have my answer to is it fake or not.

https://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/6195424446.html Check your local CL you just might find one "near" you.

Their reply:
I colored Chinese talk in red, and the hilarious reason for them selling it.

Hello!

Thanks for inquire - Stihl 090AV Collector Chainsaw NEW with bar and chain at the price of $1000.00. This product is Brand New, original box, sealed, never used, no scratches or any problems, comes in the manufacturer packaging with a New 30" Stihl Bar and Chain,FIles, wrench, screw driver. Stihl Pouch, 3 year of warranty and all manufacturer supplied accessories.

I'm selling it because I need a bigger one:lol: and this can't help me for my work. I also offer free shipping if you will buy it before 29 of June(the shipping will take 3 - 5 business days).

I registered this transaction through eBay so if you want to order, please email us your shipping details,full name and your e-mail ,so I can place your order on eBay. They will confirm the order and guide you through the payment process once we will receive your details.

You will have 15 days time to test and inspect the chainsaw ,if you don't like it, I will take it back on my expense and eBay will refund you the money directly into your bank account.

Kindest regards!

Attachments

• 00i0i_cdLyReUDYlS_600x450.jpg
    00i0i_cdLyReUDYlS_600x450.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 24
"After operating one for a day with a long bar you will gain a great respect for the men on the west coast who did this daily ."

Ain't that the truth... an honest days work with the 90 helps ya sleep good.

When I began treework, I was tempted to buy one of these big saws to deal with the (rare indeed) big trees, or at least just for the fun of it. But I have on hand a 3120xp with a 44" bar. It's hard enough on the ground, and no way I want an heavier saw with me in a tree.

That 090 with the brake belonged to Steve Melzer who used to post on another forum as many of us did at one time .Steve was what you might call a "high class" collector of saws and other things .I'm not certain he ever used them ,kept the damned things in the house .They say the house was a mansion too .Some place near Chicago .

Back