Instagram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
idk, i'm shy AF

instachat, snapface.

Willie suggested that site earlier.

Kyle oughta like that pic

Lol you know me too well Cory, I do like that pic. You almost can't tell if it's a picture or a painting, and any work with a hood down is good :) I just looked through my phone, and this is the only pic I have with me with a hood on lol. Acid wash tank repair, terrible spot, so I look even more hedious than normal

IMAG3310.jpg
IMAG3304.jpg

I do have to tell a joke tho:
What do you call an ironworker walking?

The chimes of ignorance :lol:

And here's one I downloaded because the rig was cool, and he was practicing, pretty cool pic
85750.jpg

The one huge problem that I have with it tho is he's standing on his mud board, which is about as dumb as you could possibly get lol

I wish it was mine. I found it online somewhere. I do like the diamond plate bed, looks sharp

You use the mud board to lay on to weld the bottom, so you don't get mud, cow shit, and everything else on you. Standing on a mud board is the equivalent of getting in bed with muddy boots on. Those tires aren't for show, you work in deep mud a bunch. Sometimes where they go in and build cribbing to get you above water. Which sucks, and is kinda cool because you get to go mudding for work :D

Kinda like when I worked offshore... if they caught you holding a stair handhold with your dirty gloves on you got an ass-chewing.

Yup, but that's a safety issue, this really isn't. It's a common sense/ respect issue. The welder has to lay down in that all day, so stepping on it is a huge no no (welders are gods on pipeline). Some are such assholes that the helper, who also has to get down there, isn't allowed to lay on it. Since I'm detailing this thread again with random welding stuff, here's probably the coolest video on YouTube. Good old boy putting a bead in. This is how it's done, someday I might be that smooth, not yet tho.

The glove thing wasn't really so much a safety thing as it was a cleanliness thing.

Nobody wants oil and grease on their hands from gripping the handrail.

Needed the extra height.....and those are not adjustable stands.

Yes, they are. Big steps with the holes (+pin or bold) in the central pipe sliding in the footing, and big screw holding the top mount in the central pipe. You can see the funny adjustable nut just on top of the central pipe with its two arms ended by a ball.

Those are called jackstands, they are fully adjustable and are the best thing in the world to fab on. You can level all sorts of stuff on them (so you can use levels instead of squares, much faster), small footprint to store (even more so with the folding ones, and support 1500 pounds.

Yup, but that's a safety issue, this really isn't. It's a common sense/ respect issue. The welder has to lay down in that all day, so stepping on it is a huge no no (welders are gods on pipeline). Some are such assholes that the helper, who also has to get down there, isn't allowed to lay on it. Since I'm detailing this thread again with random welding stuff, here's probably the coolest video on YouTube. Good old boy putting a bead in. This is how it's done, someday I might be that smooth, not yet tho.

It almost looked like he was "walking the rod".

He's welding the first pass, known as the bead. The pipes are beveled, gapped slightly, and he's jabbing a 6010 rod in there. It's hot enough it doesn't stick. He's actually welding the inside of the pipe, other passes made by others will finish welding it. So basically he's welding the inside going that fast. Stick welding ain't slow if you know what you are doing ;)

He's using hand signals to tell the helper to adjust his heat on the fly, the wiggle makes the rod burn evenly. Watch his 20" one, you will see him change rods in about 2 seconds, completely smooth, no wasted motion.

I know. I was teasing you.

That makes me sound like a dick.....

Nah, not eve.

Since I'm detailing this thread again with random welding stuff, here's probably the coolest video on YouTube. Good old boy putting a bead in. This is how it's done, someday I might be that smooth, not yet tho.

How little I know about welding: why is that great, because he's just doing a weld freehand without the rod sticking to the pipe? Thanks.

No, cause he's done in less than a min :) there's a bunch going on there, but that's an xray quality bead on 10" in under a min per side.That dude is worth his weight in gold. The first pass is the slowest one, so your more experienced guys do them. They set the pace for the entire job. So this guy, assuming decent front end crew, will probably do close to 2 miles a day of 10".

The heat on the remote. The lady is his helper, possibly his wife. It's a confirmation that she adjusted the heat, and where he's at on the remote, because the arc characteristics change with remote action as well as the heat.

Back